• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch box instructions needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I seemed to have lost my instructions on the hinged patch box kit. This is my first attempt on this. I can’t find it anywhere online. I need the picture showing how the spring is inlet for the lid. Could someone please post a picture of these instructions? 24F7B3D0-498C-46E9-AF96-1E9C3578317D.jpegB5DE389F-5890-44BE-AEAA-07DEC3CCF0CF.jpeg

Inlet your PB first. Then cut out your PB cavity. Assuming it's a leaf spring buried unfit the finial, it will be pretty intuitive when you get to that point.

It would help to see what spring came with your kit. If it's in the picture, I'm missing it. Most inlet under the finial, but on a recent kit they sent a piece of junk spring with it that was to inlet to the "wall" at the back of the patchbox cavity. So not sure what came with your kit. Assuming the former, but would help to know for sure.

Here's a common type of lid spring installation:

1608042606497.png

Last edited:
Looks like that one has a cam-over action type. The "loose" spring you see interacts with the part attached to the lid and in theory, you don't need a latch because the combo is supposed to both hold it down and spring it up. I don't know that I trust that, but I think that's the theory. So, the installation of the loose part is the same as the picture I posted, but you now have the relationship of the top and bottom spring to get right making the job perhaps a little more tedious.

I remember a recent post by Zonie with a diagram of the operation of this kind of spring system. Now to find it.....

OK, found it. I thought Zonie had posted a little diagram, but I was wrong. He does give a good description, however.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/banana-patchbox-latch.121814/post-1669588

I put in a banana patchbox, I cut it down a good bit to fit a squirrel rifle then realized I had shortened the wrong end (senior moment), the lid spring faced away from the opening not toward it.

I made another spring and jury rigged it to work, I hate these senior moments.

patchbox goofups 003.JPG

I put in a banana patchbox, I cut it down a good bit to fit a squirrel rifle then realized I had shortened the wrong end (senior moment), the lid spring faced away from the opening not toward it.

I made another spring and jury rigged it to work, I hate these senior moments.

View attachment 54453
Yeah, I agree with you, these moments seem to get more oftener!!

Now your spring location makes sense to me. I like the latch on that one. My kit has a different set up. It doesn’t have a latch, just the spring that holds the door closed.

I made a latch that works like the one that Eric shows in post #10. I used it on a pre-Rev war era gun I made.

CanoeGun15.jpg

CanoeGun16.jpg

The brass catch is soldered to a thin piece of spring steel that goes under the butt plate.

That‘s gorgeous Zonie! Y’all are challenging me here. I am just trying to get through my first full patch box🤪. I guess I can start researching threads on different latch and release methods.

Y
I seemed to have lost my instructions on the hinged patch box kit. This is my first attempt on this. I can’t find it anywhere online. I need the picture showing how the spring is inlet for the lid. Could someone please post a picture of these instructions?View attachment 54212View attachment 54213
You did a nice job in shaping that patchbox!

Thanks, Pooch156! Just don’t look too closely at it 🤓. The top and bottom panels are not exactly alike but that was on purpose. Since it is just my second build, I wanted it looking a little crude. (Makes it easier to improve on😅)

Well, I just went forward with what came with the kit and figured it out. I inlet the spring too deep so I shimmed it up with a cut off from the side plate. Turned out well for my first shot at it. 0105494D-9F0D-4D52-8A77-A406725CCCBB.jpeg0AF3C9B1-2C07-4B43-92B5-D883175C6E18.jpegDB97002D-8FAB-46EF-94A6-4ECD17D3FD24.jpegEA218959-2970-43B4-9985-243C731B0333.jpeg

Back