• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need to make a part into a spring, procedure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
On another thread I started, I showed the progress on my matchlocks lock. At this time, I will need a flat spring to return the serpentine(cock), back into battery after firing. The kit included a part (see picture), that I'm positive is to be said spring. My dilemma is, in its current form it isn't spring steel. Is it possible to make this part into spring steel?

Note, I have not worked this part at all yet because I was simply going to purchase a flat spring and work it into this lock. However, if I can make the part that was included in the kit into a spring I will. I just need to know how.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240220_121336.jpg
    20240220_121336.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
That spring you show is 6150 steel.
You need to shape it, harden it, polish it, and then temper it.
If you need to bend it, anneal it first to ensure it will not snap.
It is exactly what you need.

William

Attachments

• 20240217_211311.jpg
    20240217_211311.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Working with 6150

Annealing
is done by heating to 1550 degrees and allowingit to slowly cool.

To harden, heat to 1600 degrees and oil quench.

Tempering is done between 650 and 700 degrees.

A cast replacement spring from somewhere like Track of the Wolf or The Rifle Shoppe will require you to do the final polishing, shaping, and heat treating.

Quenching in different items? Oil, room temperature water, hot boiling water, salt brine solution, just letting your item to cool naturally, and I’m sure I’m missing some quenching mediums. What’s the best way to quench your springs and other items?

... wouldn't you polish before hardening?
Well... I always pre-polish BEFORE hardening. Always in the direction of the lever arm. ( Think of a spring as lever that returns to its normal position after being stressed.)
However, I always polish AFTER hardening to ensure that all micro-cracks that can appear on the surface after hardening are eliminated. I also polish after tempering unless I like the color of the part afterwards.
William

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back