• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Box Assistance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have those olde .50 cal (bored to a fowler) and noticed the latch on the patch box lid has gone AWOL. I'm looking for a source for a replacement and advice on the process to replace?
Thankins,
Dave

Something is missing...
cEZHhMH.jpg

Photo of the latch and lid open.
QD5z0Ok.jpg

I suspect the latch on this lid is what I'm in search of...?
gsBkJBK.jpg

It’s not a part you can buy, a smith can make it and fit it to the lid. Get a smith that builds muzzleloaders for the work.

Appreciate the replies Phil & Pete. I figured the other option is another box "lid" assembly and rob the latch...sounds like a bunch of work to me. I'll poke at the nail approach.

Those latches are made from mild steel rod. It’s best to fins a piece slightly over sized, and file the end square to prevent it turning, then rivet it into place. You will then be tasked with filing a notch in the proper place for the latch.
Its not that hard, but time consuming.
Hope that helps.

I use a fairly hefty nail and don't harden it. One end has a reduced dia which goes into the lid's ctsk hole and and is long enough to be riveted and then filed smooth.

The nail edge that contacts the spring catch has a slight chamfer filed on and that side of the pin has ink from a sharpie and when closed the spring catch will mark it's position. A triangular needle file is then used to make the step in the nail. The step is slightly angled so the catch spring travels up the angle for a tight fit of the lid. The length of the nail is now reduced but enough is left so a chamfer underneath the slightly angled step can be filed on.....Fred

P1010005.JPG

I use a fairly hefty nail and don't harden it. One end has a reduced dia which goes into the lid's ctsk hole and and is long enough to be riveted and then filed smooth.

The nail edge that contacts the spring catch has a slight chamfer filed on and that side of the pin has ink from a sharpie and when closed the spring catch will mark it's position. A triangular needle file is then used to make the step in the nail. The step is slightly angled so the catch spring travels up the angle for a tight fit of the lid. The length of the nail is now reduced but enough is left so a chamfer underneath the slightly angled step can be filed on.....Fred

View attachment 84330.

I couple of folks have mentioned riveting the nail in place. Would someone please share a photo of that "rivet?"

Viano has the thing down ... this is a good bit of work if you're up for it... otherwise, get a 'smith who knows his way around muzzle loaders (the local M1911 or AR 15 guy might or might not be up to the task).

good luck with your project!

Rhino....the reduced diameter of the nail { long enough to be riveted} is inserted into the hole w/ a ctsk and is peened into a head which is then filed smooth w/ the lid surface. There is no separate rivet. .....Fred

I appreciate the clarification...peening makes more sense than riveting...but I'm not a 'smith, don't play one on TV nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :)

Back