• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker Rifle Patchbox Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a 1805 Baker Rifle (The Rifle Shoppe version, not an import) 9 years ago that I am rebuilding. The one main problem I've run into is that the patch box was so poorly assembled that I decided to make a new one. I originally thought I could just take it off and square up the two parts and be done with it, but no, it was too far gone to fix. So I made the head part out of a piece of brass I had and made the lid out of 1/8" brass and silver soldered a piece of brass to the tongue. Everything was going well until today when I realized that I drilled the hinge pivot hole incorrectly. I drilled a hole .150" from the face of the head and .150"down from the face of the head, but I cannot get the lid to pivot open. I just got finished plugging the holes I drilled today (well 2 out of 3 anyway) and silver soldering the plugs.

So, do any of you Baker builders remember the dimensions you used to locate the pivot pin? I've looked on the TRS plan sheets that various people have posted and I don't see any dimensions given.

Here's a photo of a Brunswick rifle patch box head that shows the pivot hole but I don't have any idea about the dimensions . Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P1010280.jpg

So far on this 1805 Baker I've re-installed the nosecap; made a new front sight; re-installed the ramrod thimbles that were too high; made a standing breech because the original was ground down smaller than the barrel breech; moved the triggerguard rearward about 3/16" to put a screw that is in front of the TG into the standing breech; reshaped the stock because he mainly sanded the high points off and applied a finish; and finally the wrist thumb piece was installed too far up the wrist & crooked too, I made a slightly larger one & installed a screw through the middle of the trigger guard. It's been a little more than a light refinish job. I still have to re-solder the bayonet catch because it has come loose in the front section.

later, Mike

PS - I'm getting a new left knee towards the end of July, it should be a real scream!

Last edited:
This is a photo of the patch box as I received the rifle. The box has a pin through the box head and I thought I could fix it.IMG_0367a.jpg

Well I was wrong, so I made this:

IMG_0375a.jpg
IMG_0376a.jpgIMG_0377a.jpg

It is still rough but it goes together nicely. The last photo shows one of the holes I drilled but cannot open the bugger. It looks like it is catching where the two parts meet that are beveled, but I don't know.

later, Mike

Here are some photos of the stuff I have been working on for the past couple of weeks. First the stock showing the new thumb piece and the new standing breech:
IMG_0368a.jpg

Here's a shot of the new standing breech and the original:

IMG_0373a.jpg

Finally the underside of the stock showing how much I had to move the trigger guard rearward & the 2 new screws at the front of the TG and in the middle of the TG. The front screw goes into the extension of the standing breech & the middle screw into the new thumb piece:

IMG_0370a.jpg

Later, Mike

Nice work. You are skilled and determined. There is a lot of the TRS parts set that is poorly done. IT takes a lot of work to make a decent rifle out out one.

Thanks for your comments Scota, they're much appreciated.

I've been working almost every day on this patch box. I made brass plugs and silver soldered the holes twice and on the third time I finally got the pivot pin in the correct place. I had it too close to the PB head and I used 30 degree bevels that's why I couldn't open the bloody thing. So on the third try I made 45 degree bevels and moved the pivot back & down and it all finally worked. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I re-made another PB head, that's why it took so long.

Here's photo of the installed patch box:
IMG_0378a.jpg

I made a new catch as the one the rifle came with was installed backwards & was polished like an Indian made part. I also installed new butt plate screws and filled & re-drilled the holes:
IMG_0379a.jpg
It looks like I need to enlarge the patch box interior hole some. They were made to hold a Mars bar originally I believe.

So now on to filling the hole in front of the trigger guard.

later, Mike

UPDATE: I re-drilled the pivot holes (and plugged & soldered the old holes) and I finally got the pivot pin in the correct spot. If you look at the photo above, I couldn't get the patch box open more than what is shown, but now:
IMG_0382a.jpg

I can fully open the bloody thing so I can get my Mars bar out!

And I made a ball puller & torque bar too.
IMG_0381a.jpg

Now I can patch the hole in front of the trigger guard.

later, Mike

Latest posts

Back