• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck patch box lid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any experience removing a stuck sliding wooden patch box lid?

I have a Pedersoli Jaeger that a PO built out of a kit from Dixie, and it seems that they might not have fit the dovetail and drove it into place. I see no evidence of it being glued in.

Having slung wrenches for years, the image I have in my head for removal consists of a lag bolt in a piloted hole and some sort of slide hammer. Is this overkill? 😂

I have already placed an order with Pedersoli for a new one, as this one is probably going to be destroyed or disfigured in the process of removal.

Any ideas? I’m not much of a woodworker….yet…View attachment 149326
Very lightly, carefully, tap with padded soft 'tool' as though you were opening it. Maybe even tap couple times then let sit overnight. Use a non-marring balsa wood piece or something, tap with small hammer lightly. Once it opens, and it will, lube with beeswax. A great gunsmith once told me to loosen a screw on a genuine Colt revolver, you might tap it once (with perfectly fitting screwdriver, of which a pro will have a huge selection) and let it sit 24 hrs. before doing it again. Oh, be sure you have the little 'latch' in the "open" position! Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Very lightly, carefully, tap with padded soft 'tool' as though you were opening it. Maybe even tap couple times then let sit overnight. Use a non-marring balsa wood piece or something, tap with small hammer lightly. Once it opens, and it will, lube with beeswax. A great gunsmith once told me to loosen a screw on a genuine Colt revolver, you might tap it once (with perfectly fitting screwdriver, of which a pro will have a huge selection) and let it sit 24 hrs. before doing it again. Oh, be sure you have the little 'latch' in the "open" position! Good luck, let us know how it goes.
I have a full set of Brownell's, they are absolutely the best fitting drivers out there IMO.

I have come to the conclusion that the builder of this kit dabbed a little spot of glue in the dovetails before sliding the box lid home. I tried the dental floss, and that revealed to me a "high spot" in the same place on both sides. I then very carefully slipped a razor blade into the gap, and when I got to the high spot, it was met with a gummy resistance. Slowly I worked the blade all the way to the base of the joint, on both sides...This was followed by some more tapping with a rag covered piece of thin scrap pine. . It is still absolutely solid. No movement whatsoever. So at this point I am going to leave it alone, and make some smoke. When the replacement lid from Pedersoli arrives, I will ponder on it once again. I think the safest thing to do then, other than to leave it alone 😂, will be to slowly nibble away at it with a plunge bit or a chisel until I can remove a piece and get a visual on the dovetail, and proceed with a teeny chisel.

Hi Dusty,
When you removed the butt plate did you notice if the dovetail was tight looking at the back? The force you are having to use suggests either the dovetail is swelled tight or the idiot who made the kit did something really stupid like let glue or finish on the dovetail dry while the lid was in place. I wish you lived closer to my gun shop because I am sure we could figure something out. Please don't take offence because I suspect you already thought of this, but is it possible the latch is locked on something deeper than the inner edge of the butt plate?

dave

You have a lot of good suggestions here already. Here's one more; Try taking several pieces of dental floss under the front part of the lid and use them as a a sort of a multi-stranded rope to pull the lid to the rear and free. The hammer and block push method will push the nose down. The pull method will raise it up.

Last edited:
You have a lot of good suggestions here already. Here's one more; Try taking several pieces of dental floss under the front part of the lid and use them as a a sort of a multi-stranded rope to pull the lid to the rear and free. The hammer and block push method will push the nose down. The pull method will raise it up.
I will give it a try.

It's been a little bit more than a month now. How has this story ended?

I second that did you get it fixed ?

I have come to the conclusion that the builder of this kit glued the patch box lid to the stock. Womp womp.

I have ordered a replacement lid from Pedersoli, and will try again once it is delivered.

Until then, I'm shooting it!

I have come to the conclusion that the builder of this kit glued the patch box lid to the stock. Womp womp.

I have ordered a replacement lid from Pedersoli, and will try again once it is delivered.

Until then, I'm shooting it!
Unless I knew there was a winning lottery ticket in the patch box, I’d probably just leave it as the nonfunctional decoration it has become. Though it would require willpower to keep from messing it

If your 1000% sure your going to replace the cover, when you have the new cover in hand I'd wack that old cover as squarely and as hard as you can just for putting you thru the trouble who knows it might give up and come loose ... But if as I assume the builder did glue it the glue is spread in the dovetails which means working on recutting the old parts out of the dovetails very delicate work as SDSmlf said above just leave it alone just think there is nothing there and shoot it it's not like you have to use it.

Back