• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inconsistent loading resistance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve noticed loading my 58 smooth bore (54 rifle re bored to 58 smooth) that unless I load a looser ball/patch I really struggle in the first maybe 25% of the barrel. And I mean bad. Second 25% seems a bit better and past that the last 50% doesn’t seem to be much of an issue, in comparison.

Is this normal for some reason or is there something I’m missing? I do feel like maybe fouling could play a role after shot #1 but this is happening with a freshly cleaned and oiled bore on the first shot.

And yes I’ve already swapped out PRB for using wads but I’d still like to know what I might be running into here.

as the ball/patch is first entering the rifling, it is being compressed/engraved. as it goes on down it starts to polish that engraving on the patch. gets smooth toward the bottom.
one can use a thinner patch to ease the process but that tight patch usually gives better accuracy.
Yes but this is a smooth bore all the way down. I’d imagine in theory if the bore was perfectly consistent that once the ball/patched cleared the crown the pressure required should be constant all the way in.

as the ball/patch is first entering the rifling, it is being compressed/engraved. as it goes on down it starts to polish that engraving on the patch.
Generally true, but OP is dealing with a smoothbore.

I’ve noticed loading my 58 smooth bore (54 rifle re bored to 58 smooth) that unless I load a looser ball/patch I really struggle in the first maybe 25% of the barrel.

Yes but this is a smooth bore all the way down. I’d imagine in theory if the bore was perfectly consistent that once the ball/patched cleared the crown the pressure required should be constant all the way in.
Who did the rebore? Any chance you are dealing with a choked bore?

I had a Hoyt barrel that was tight at the muzzle then loose for most of it then very tight at the breech. Had to lead lap it a lot.

I had a Hoyt barrel that was tight at the muzzle then loose for most of it then very tight at the breech. Had to lead lap it a lot.
It would make sense that the farther down the barrel you go the more opportunity for shaft play on the boring bit. That had crossed my mind.

getting pretty bad. also i find myself standing in front of my work bench without a clue of what i am doing. usually take a clue from what is in my hand!
Don't feel bad I had a fellow shooter have a suppository pistol shipped to me.

It was in a box I picked it up with my box of tax paperwork . I had put it under a roll top desk.
We looked for 15 minutes and then I picked up the top on the desk and there it was.

Most will work a bore from the breech end of the barrel.
Oh ok. Well, I'm still stumped. I guess i just need to spend some time benched and see if I am actually getting any accuracy gains from PRB. If not then i guess ill just stick to wads...or at least a looser PRB maybe. The wads sure make life easier but I've got such a hard time wrapping my head around a loose RB bouncing around the bore on the way out being as linear as a patched ball that has 360 degree contact all the way down.

And while I'm on the subject I should really mention that this post really didn't come about until i decided to make some harder lead wheel weight RB's to test out. I was shooting soft lead .575 with a .010 patch and it was still quite stiff up top. I assumed my wheel weight castings would be oversized so i did the wheel weight casting in a .562 mold and assumed a .015 patch would likely be fine. Without getting into too much detail I'm glad i owned an old busted up ramrod that i keep around for cleaning, because I wouldnt have been willing to take a mallet to anything else (after i ***literally*** dang near broke my hand on the muzzle when my ramrod slipped out).

Now im nervous to even try those wheel weight RB's with a .010 patch.

You don't need a patched ball in a smoothbore. Maybe that's the problem.
Yeah, I'm aware PRB in a smoothbore could be considered incorrect or unconventional but from my last post...

"The wads sure make life easier but I've got such a hard time wrapping my head around a loose RB bouncing around the bore on the way out being as linear as a patched ball that has 360 degree contact all the way down."

Now im nervous to even try those wheel weight RB's with a .010 patch.
Just forget the damn patch and shoot it bareball with a wad over powder and a wad over ball (optional, as a matter of fact if you're shooting immediately)

"The wads sure make life easier but I've got such a hard time wrapping my head around a loose RB bouncing around the bore on the way out being as linear as a patched ball that has 360 degree contact all the way down."

Irrelevant if you're using the correct sized round ball.

These smoothbores are not that subject to these little inconsistencies that affect their accuracy because:

they aren't capable of that accuracy to begin with.

Just shoot the damn thing and have a blast doing it!! 😁

As far as wads go, I've tried everything from commercial prelubed and sized wads to crumpled newspaper to cotton balls with little noticeable difference. I didn't save the paper wasp nest I cut down years ago before black powder; now I wished I had.

And while I'm on the subject I should really mention that this post really didn't come about until i decided to make some harder lead wheel weight RB's to test out. I was shooting soft lead .575 with a .010 patch and it was still quite stiff up top. I assumed my wheel weight castings would be oversized so i did the wheel weight casting in a .562 mold and assumed a .015 patch would likely be fine.
Maybe go back to pure/soft lead and experiment with different patch thickness.
I guess i just need to spend some time benched and see if I am actually getting any accuracy gains from PRB.
Easy loading and accuracy can sometimes be a paradox. Find the easiest to load and accurate PRB, then compare to accuracy of a bare roundball. The gun will let you know what works ‘best’.

Powder ash and lubricant can build up near the last 6" of the bore , muzzle end. If this is too much of a PITA for you , change lubes , try FFFg powder for a slightly cleaner burn , or wipe between shots. Nature of the beast....

Try seating the ball on the powder charge with a moist patch on the jag. You’ll be surprised at how much fouling will be pulled out and your bore will be more consistent shot to shot.

Latest posts

Back