• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper patched balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guncobbler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
BS said:
You got me thinking about stability! I have been shooting paper patched balls with my .73 cal. I can shoot under 1 1/2 at fifty yards. My best is 5/8s for a 3 shot group...............now move out to 100 and all kinds of .....stuff ....happens.

On a windy day i will get a nice horizonal string of shots....as expected, then a high rigt, then a low left, this opens the group up to over 8"s.

I wonder if my huge sprue [Lyman mold] is catching the wind? I am going to load some sprue down and file some others off, trying to blend them smooth.

Any Ideas?

Hi BS - Would you please describe your paper patch process with round balls. Do you make two long rectangular patches and cross them or do you wrap the patch around the ball as you would for a cylindrical bullet? What kind of charges are you using in your rifle? Who made your barrel?

I've used up to 130 grains pyrodex (weighed) in my 75 rifle but have to wipe well after each shot to prevent the group from getting too large. Hope I can get out to the range tomorrow to put a few more balls through it and try some of my Xmass Goex. GC

If you go back and read [wheel weights for round balls], you will find all of my info, starting on page 3 [?]

Link to Wheel Weights for Roundballs

The paper is tapered, kind of looks like a funnel. You have to mess with the shape, till you get what you want. Then I add as many that will fit on a sheet of paper, then scan and save. I print one and have 5 or 6 stapled to it. That wasy I cut out about 24 at a time.

Thanks BS - How do you keep the paper from unwrapping? Is it the twist on the top of the ball? GC

guncobbler said:
Thanks BS - How do you keep the paper from unwrapping? Is it the twist on the top of the ball? GC

Folded, or even lightly glued will work...

ballandpowder.gif

Musketman said:
guncobbler said:

Folded, or even lightly glued will work...

ballandpowder.gif

The straight stick would be quicker, but I think the tapered ones load easier. :winking:

As for glue...............took me a little while to figure this one out................. :haha:

and..................wood glue thinned with water. No real formula .......just thin, not thick! :shocked2:

2.5-wraps-web.jpg

This is a full sheet of 20# printer paper. I staple five more to it and cut out 24.

I used a broom stick to make the tapered mandrel. One of those things that took some time on the belt sander.

I am getting quicker at rolling and glueing them!

I am thinking about getting a new mold for my 7ga. and rolling my own. :shocked2:

Back