• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch lube -- I know this will get a dozen ideas for each 6 responses, but...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbreit

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm getting back into patched round ball shooting. Years ago, I used Hoppe's 9 Plus, put on the strip and cutting at the muzzle. My 2 sons and I could shoot a match (100 +/-) shots in a day without wiping or having problems loading. Apparently, they quit making the stuff. What is a good substitute for matches AND hunting, with the ball loaded for extended times? Now I'll step back and avoid the flack.

I'm getting back into patched round ball shooting. Years ago, I used Hoppe's 9 Plus, put on the strip and cutting at the muzzle. My 2 sons and I could shoot a match (100 +/-) shots in a day without wiping or having problems loading. Apparently, they quit making the stuff. What is a good substitute for matches AND hunting, with the ball loaded for extended times? Now I'll step back and avoid the flack.
It appears they have renamed (and possibly reformulated) the Hoppe’s 9 Plus to Hoppe’s 9 Black Powder Gun Bore Cleaner and Patch Lubricant. Personally, have not tried the ‘new’ version as I still have a few quart bottles of the old stuff. If you try the latest iteration, please let us know the results.
https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Number-Powder-Cleaner-Lubricant/dp/B008CXP5XY

I use this stuff for a little swab now and then, seems to work fine for getting the crud out at the range, would likely be ok as patch lube.

Hoppes.jpg

Same stuff. I have a probably 20 year old white plastic squeeze bottle of it and one of the new ones, both work really well as a patch lube.

A friend of mine who was an avid BP competitor years ago said virtually everyone in the club mixed it with Vaseline hand lotion in the yellow bottle. Haven't tried that yet but as much as the Hoppe's dries out and irritates my skin it would be a good idea.

Spit is probably the second best alternative for woods walks and range time. You will need a natural oil/grease/wax based lube for hunting situations where the gun will sit loaded for extended periods of time.

Same stuff. I have a probably 20 year old white plastic squeeze bottle of it and one of the new ones, both work really well as a patch lube.
The ‘older’ stuff I have is a milky white emulsion. I’ve heard the newer’ stuff looks significantly different, though I’ve yet to try it. Miracle of science and chemistry? Don’t know.

So is the new. My old bottle has some orange sediment in it and is a little more viscous, but I think some of the alcohol and water has flashed off over time.
Good to know. ‘Rumors’ of reformulation may be nothing more than rumors. It’s going to take a while to work through the multiple quart bottles of the old stuff I have, as I don’t use it much anymore. Could become an estate thing, though can’t imagine anyone knowing what it is or it having any value at that point, but as long as it’s there when I want it, all is good.

I use. a lubed wad between powder and patch for. The wad acts as a buffer for the patch, at least in my brain. Lubed with what I don't know 'cause I've always used pre-lubed wads and patches from TOW. I don't know why I'm posting because I sure did not answer the ops question, and actually what I use does not facilitate not cleaning between shots. Which bothers me not at all because for the last 50 years I have always cleaned between shots for the sake of consistency. 1 wet and 2 dry patches.

for the last 50 years I have always cleaned between shots for the sake of consistency. 1 wet and 2 dry patches.

Ditto.

Only difference is I wipe thoroughly with the damp patch and then flip it over and wipe again. Seems to have a drying effect.

As you said, not really the answer the OP was looking for but I think the fact that the hoppes is still available solves the problem.

I use ballistol and water as a patch lube. There is a video of a fella on YouTube shooting patches soaked with 50/50 Dawn and water. Haven't tried it personally, but he said he had no fouling issues. It's on the Internet so it has to be true. Right?

I use ballistol and water as a patch lube. There is a video of a fella on YouTube shooting patches soaked with 50/50 Dawn and water. Haven't tried it personally, but he said he had no fouling issues. It's on the Internet so it has to be true. Right?

Been running it for years in competition shooting, it's all I use.

Latest posts

Back