• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pan priming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First starting out I dumped a lot in there with a priming flask, probably 3 grains of 4F. Just one plunge with the thing and tap out the extra. (Little bigger than a pea sized amount). Maybe too much. Next shoot I'm going with half that if I can manage it. Smaller flash, for me, increases accuracy. Getting into those small amounts is hard to measure though.

Measuring the grains of 4F powder deposited in the pan may be somewhat difficult depending on what type of priming charger you use. Some use a measured charger, while others may prime from their horns. I have always found that a deposit of 4F in the pan about the size of a garden green pea is just about right for me. It takes very little priming powder to nearly spontaneously ignite the main charge in the bore.

Personally I feel that depends entirely on how efficiently your lock produces and directs the spark shower.
Lot of sparks consistently directed into the pan and one needs less pan area covered with priming powder.
A few sparks flying all over the place and one needs more of the pan area covered with priming powder.
A good lock will fire upside down and with no priming at all in the 40- 50 percent range so it appears that the size of the ignition flash is not really the issue but rather the consistency of it.

Just weighed it. One grain or a bit less in the outside corner of the pan from a small priming horn.

I prime from my horn, so can't give you a grain measurement, your touch souls be at the sunrise position and the powder below the hole. In the woods I check my prom often to make sure it hasn't banked up as I was walking.

I just "dump" the 4f from my primer and sometimes have to swipe the overload w/ my finger in order to have the frizzen fully closed or if the amount of prime is w/in the pan, then it's a go.

My flintlocks aren't finicky as to the amount of prime and in years back don't think in the heat of battle, it was that important.

The "modern mindset" seems to complicate a simple thing.....like the amount of prime.....Fred

M.D.’s response is wise. I have a fowler that takes almost nothing to set off, but my rifles all take quite a bit of powder to get consistent ignition. Having said that, after I read Fletch’s research results on the subject I now just fill the pan to the touch hole and now everything is as consistent as I can get it from shot to shot and from gun to gun.

flehto said:
I just "dump" the 4f from my primer and sometimes have to swipe the overload w/ my finger in order to have the frizzen fully closed or if the amount of prime is w/in the pan, then it's a go.

My flintlocks aren't finicky as to the amount of prime and in years back don't think in the heat of battle, it was that important.

The "modern mindset" seems to complicate a simple
thing.....like the amount of prime.....Fred

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller said:
As much as it takes to about half fill the pan.
:thumbsup: My locks vary considerably from a small Siler to a Chambers Round Faced English. My feeling is that the smaller pans need to be filled vs the the larger pans just needing some powder.

For me, "at the range" is different than in a hunting situation. I'm not distracted by flash, simply don't see it, so "too much powder" isn't a problem for me. Watch the SIGHTS.

Try it and see what YOUR lock and touch hole NEEDS to fire reliably.

Stophel said:
Dump it full, snap it shut, cock and shoot.

Simplify, man! :wink:
Yup, been doing it that way for better than forty years!

Back