• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa hunters, do you wear camo during the intlock season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have never understood how a man can be mistaken for a deer by an experienced, intelligent hunter as the two look nothing alike. A good hunter understands the importance of shot placement. To execute a precision shot placement one needs a clear target picture on the game.

My neighbor and I use to go to the local cafe on the morning of opening of deer season to listen to the hunters. It was amazing to hear some of the discussions. It was scary to hear them talk about "sound" shots. They would hear a sound and shoot in that direction. They would go over to that area to see if they had killed a deer.

My other neighbor lets his cousins deer hunt. One of them was getting his rifle out of his truck and shot another cousin in the rear end. He survived. Next year one of them shot a hole in the cab of his truck.

Often wonder when I hear about a shooting, if the person had taken a Hunters' Safety Course.

Often wonder when I hear about a shooting, if the person had taken a Hunters' Safety Course.

They do in Colorado. It's a law. There are exceptions. Like if you're old and born before I think 1949 you don't need to take the course. I never understood that but there you go.

This happened to me one time and still gives me chills when I think about it;

I was M/L hunting in Hicks Cove near Stevenson Al with my TC muzzleloader, I was walking up a valley thick with saplings and a few downed tree tops. I jumped a deer out of one of the tree tops that ran to my left at about 20 yards away, it abruptly stopped with its vitals behind a large tree but its hind quarter sticking out to the right of the tree. I put my sights on the deer's hind quarter and waited for it to step forward and expose its vitals but it never did, it seemed frozen in place.

I eased up to hopefully get the deer to move forward, gun at the ready. To my horror I found that the "hind quarter" was the Carhart clad shoulder of another very drunk hunter completely devoid of any orange who was sitting at the base of the tree the deer ran behind, he was surrounded by at least a six pack of empty beer cans. He was also trespassing and didn't have permission to be on the land, I thought I was the only one hunting the property that afternoon. This was on a cloudy afternoon in the late evening, the deer and the hunter were exactly the same color in appearance.

Another scary part of this story; the guy was too dunk to know what was going on and had a loaded 30-30 across his lap.

The deer had to have run right over the hunters outstretched legs but he was too drunk to notice and hadn't seen a thing. Had I been one of those guys who shoots on impulse when a deer jumps up, like many do, this could have been an event with very tragic consequences.

I was so shaken by what had transpired that I didn't chastise the guy, I turned, walked back to my car and drove home with a sick queasy feeling in my stomach. 50 years later I still get that queasy feeling when I think of that day.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there will always be stupid people. Every activity has its share of idiots. Sadly, no law, or regulation requiring blaze orange, or whatever, will stop stupid.

Whether you wear orange or not, there will always be risk associated with everything we do. You can only hope to minimize your chances of running into Mr. STUPID. The other thing to consider are the odds. If the odds are low that something is going to happen, and you assume the risk, and that's a choice you can live with, then we can't fault that person for say not wearing orange. If it's legal to go forth without wearing orange then you assume and accept the risk.

And, do you make any attempt to camo your firearm?

I have a couple camo options that I use during the late season. One is a basic older style of Im guessing Mossy Oak Obsession, fall brown jacket, and a newer style of the same pants. Another is an insulated jumpsuit with a darker Realtree pattern, again older style but it blends well but has some green in it. I just purchased a set of non insulated snow camo overwhites in a jacket and pants. Hoping we get a dusting of snow or two before the season ends to try them out. I have a surplus West German snow poncho as well but it doesn't fit well over my heavier clothing.

I normally don't camo my flintlock, but I do have a roll of snow camo medical type tape that I plan to place in a couple strategic spots on the gun just to break its outline.

What camo or lack thereof do you use?

I don’t necessarily wear camo. Most of my warm weather clothing is camo just because it is hard to find adequate warm weather clothing to hunt in. My cold weather clothing is wool. Green brown and grey in color.

I do not wear red or orange unless I have to by law.

As far as the gun I do not have anything shiny on it and the wood blends pretty well. But it I did I would put some wax on it and leave it heavy. This will cut the shine.

The elk is warm weather. The bobcat cold weather.

Attachments

• FD4E9549-6CC7-4E6F-A9A6-FD089300822F.jpeg
    FD4E9549-6CC7-4E6F-A9A6-FD089300822F.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 24
  • F3074F9B-20E9-45E8-9035-ACBB28C191FE.jpeg
    F3074F9B-20E9-45E8-9035-ACBB28C191FE.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 27
Colorado put the muzzleloader season in mid sept so it could be during the rut. It's supposed to be a primitive weapon like a bow but inlines ruined that idea. The DOW thinks the primitive weapons deserve the advantage of hunting during the rut.

I always pushed them to have a primitive muzzleloader season during the rut and put the modern muzzleloaders with the rifle seasons. It fell on deaf ears because they think the season is primitive now. What? It sure isn't primitive to me.

Very true.He was usin an inline.

Unless you believe that a dumb person, who would shoot at movement, doesn't exist, you are risking your life for absolutely nothing.

At 16 years old i was educated on the shenanigans of idiot hunters. i was invited to join a hunting party as a "driver". Morning of the hunt Virgil said: "I'll shoot the first thing that moves." The first thing that moved was Sammy of our hunting party who was badly wounded in the leg.

Our primitive Flinty season which is in now you can be in full camo.But there are small game hunters out there and they need to be in Orange.Our early Muzzy season in Oct.which includes all Muzzies which also overlaps small game you need Orange.I,m not positive but if memory serves me I kinda of remember some hunters gettin cited when the Camo Orange came out years ago.Not sure now though but I can,t recall seein it in a long time either.

Our primitive Flinty season which is in now you can be in full camo.But there are small game hunters out there and they need to be in Orange.Our early Muzzy season in Oct.which includes all Muzzies which also overlaps small game you need Orange.I,m not positive but if memory serves me I kinda of remember some hunters gettin cited when the Camo Orange came out years ago.Not sure now though but I can,t recall seein it in a long time either.
In PA when you're required to ware FO, it's a minimum 250 square inches of solid FO; Head, chest and back visible 360⁰, a hat and vest meet that requirement. Some FO camo patterns reduce the solid FO so a camo hat and vest may not meet the minimum. That's how hunters were being fined here.

I do not wear red or orange unless I have to by law.

Deer and other mammal prey species do not have the red-green color vision like humans. Deer, elk, moose do not see red, they do not see orange.

Plaid breaks up the human outline, so red plaid is camouflage to the game you are hunting.

It is only birds that have color vision, so the green/brown camouflage is only needed for waterfowl and turkey.

I've lived and hunted deer, elk, bear, antelope in Colorado since 1984 in both archery and muzzleloading and high power seasons. Gun seasons require a minimum of square inches of solid blaze orange or now pink including a hat, cap, or stocking cap A backpack not blaze orange colored needs a blaze orange cover. I wear blaze orange not only because of state laws but because I have a high regard for self-survival. I don't wear camo to be cool but to improve my chances of filling my tag and freezer. I have brain-tanned camo clothing that I would not use in archery season even on private property. Blaze orange tape and vests and poncho go with me even in archery season. It is prominently displayed on a carcass when packing out an animal and antlers. A problem under discussion among Colorado Bowhunters Association, Colorado State Muzzleloading and Colorado State Parks and Wildlife is whether to separate muzzleloading season from archery. As the seasons are now set, muzzleloading season runs concurrently in the middle of archery and there is no requirement for archers to wear blaze orange or blaze pink during the overlap. You can't idiot-proof hunters though hunter safety classes try to train them for safe and ethical hunting.

I've lived and hunted deer, elk, bear, antelope in Colorado since 1984 in both archery and muzzleloading and high power seasons. Gun seasons require a minimum of square inches of solid blaze orange or now pink including a hat, cap, or stocking cap A backpack not blaze orange colored needs a blaze orange cover. I wear blaze orange not only because of state laws but because I have a high regard for self-survival. I don't wear camo to be cool but to improve my chances of filling my tag and freezer. I have brain-tanned camo clothing that I would not use in archery season even on private property. Blaze orange tape and vests and poncho go with me even in archery season. It is prominently displayed on a carcass when packing out an animal and antlers. A problem under discussion among Colorado Bowhunters Association, Colorado State Muzzleloading and Colorado State Parks and Wildlife is whether to separate muzzleloading season from archery. As the seasons are now set, muzzleloading season runs concurrently in the middle of archery and there is no requirement for archers to wear blaze orange or blaze pink during the overlap. You can't idiot-proof hunters though hunter safety classes try to train them for safe and ethical hunting.

What do they plan to do with the bear season. It's a rifle season and runs Sept 2-30 just like bow season. It's when bears have to be hunted. They can't move it.

Bow season doesn't need a month. Give 2 weeks to muzzleloaders season and 2 weeks to bow season in Sept.

Latest posts

Back