• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa hunters, do you wear camo during the intlock season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I live the bow hunting lobby is too large for the ML to have an October season, they stick them in January after the gun hunters have been at it for 90 days or so..

Did you guys know that during the Lewis and Clark Expedition, Lewis was shot in the butt by one of his companions while they were hunting? They were in thick brush, and the guy who shot him mistook him for a deer. Which is understandable because they wore buckskin clothing. This happened during the return trip, I believe in Montana. No such thing as blaze orange in 1806, but if there was, I bet Lewis wished he had some on! Because of the injury to his butt, he had to ride on his stomach in a boat as they descended the Missouri River all the way back to St. Louis!

I'd knock the guy out for shooting a deer in the butt. Had he taken a proper shot he would have seen it wasn't a deer.

"he had to ride on his stomach in a boat as they descended the Missouri River all the way back to St. Louis!"

Nope, only out of commission for a short time.

Was the archer wrong? Not if he was legal. Was he irresponsible? If the season was open for rifles..... absolutely!

Yes the shooter was an idiot for not identifying his target, and so was the archer for wearing camo in a gun season.

Now the guys life, who shot him, is ruined! All because someone wanted to be cool ..... when it make no difference because the deer/elk can't see orange anyway.

Having been shot while rabbit hunting, I can tell you that the guy who shot me was an idiot, I was wearing orange. Having had multiple surgeries, having been grilled when I went in the service as to how I got shot, and having seen what it did to the guy who shot me. I will wear as much orange as I feasibly can any time I am in the woods during a gun season.
Hunters are now conditioned to look for orange no orange safe to shoot.
had a guy in our area years ago . That I found out sound and sight hunted.. his buddy’s would not go anywhere near him. I was at there house one day. Guy sayhow did you do today. I answered nothing. He says I had 2 sound and I sight . I’m what?Find out he shot twice at sound and once at something that moved!!!!
anyway before orange we wore red when I switched to lighter camo I wear orange camo hat and vest when still hunting when in my stand which has orange ribbon on it. I do my camo hat and gloves orange hat goes on a hook and is visible

Last year in Ohio, a man killed his son on their own property which they have hunted exclusively forever.

He admitted he shot at movement and said without question it would not have happened if his son had been wearing orange.

Both are to blame.

Unless you believe that a dumb person, who would shoot at movement, doesn't exist, you are risking your life for absolutely nothing.
Sounds to me the father was conditioned to look for orange. No orange ok to shoot. Instead of positivity identifying his target.
I’ve been hunting the family farm for 55 years 30 of them w everyone wearing woolrich we did drives and still hunts ever morning. About 10 of use. I started at 16. I was driven into my head. Know which way the drive was coming from where the posters where. Give a slight whistle when approaching a stand and also respond to the drive. Most importantly 2,things do not shoot in the direction the drive is coming from. Drives also knew where everyone was most of the time they where visible to ea other. . Know the deer you are shooting at is it a buck what size is it what rack. If taking doe is it a doe is it large or small is it alone. Also my grandmother made it very clear. Any mishaps and there would never be another hunt on the property.

had a guy in our area years ago . That I found out sound and sight hunted.. his buddy’s would not go anywhere near him. I was at there house one day. Guy sayhow did you do today. I answered nothing. He says I had 2 sound and I sight . I’m what?Find out he shot twice at sound and once at something that moved!!!!

You have no idea how mad this makes me. Face to face with him and i'm sure my reaction would have been violent.

I just find it amazing that even today there are individuals out there who shoot at sounds, or they see a part of something and conclude it's a deer. That's insane, but it reverts back to stupidity. The stupid hunter shoots at noise, or patches of brown, instead of identifying his target first. That's why we have yearly reports of people mistaken for deer, turkeys, and I even once read of a man who got shot in mistake for a squirrel. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

I've never heard of sound shooting. Pretty sure my dad would have beaten me down the mountainside for something that reckless and irresponsible.

Mine too. Dad was a pro boxer. When me and my brother did something stupid we had to get in the ring with him. I was 19 before I could hold my own with him. Before that I got the snot beat out of me.

When wearing orange is required. It gives some hunters a "false sense of security " thinking that if it doesn't have orange it must not be another hunter. My wife and I spend a lot of time in the woods, hiking, exploring, picking mushrooms etc. mostly in the national forest. Should we and other forest users be required to ware orange? Should forest workers, game officers, grandpa Joe walking his dog, "your grand kids at the bus stop" be required to ware orange during some hunting season that we may or may not know is going on? Or should we hold the person behind the trigger responsible for his/her actions? I know it's too late to say "I shoulda" after some dum bass has done something stupid but where does this stop.

When wearing orange is required. It gives some hunters a "false sense of security " thinking that if it doesn't have orange it must not be another hunter. My wife and I spend a lot of time in the woods, hiking, exploring, picking mushrooms etc. mostly in the national forest. Should we and other forest users be required to ware orange? Should forest workers, game officers, grandpa Joe walking his dog, "your grand kids at the bus stop" be required to ware orange during some hunting season that we may or may not know is going on? Or should we hold the person behind the trigger responsible for his/her actions? I know it's too late to say "I shoulda" after some dum bass has done something stupid but where does this stop.

Common sense tells me to wear orange if I plan to hike in a hunting area during hunting season. It's not hard to find out when the seasons are.

You can also be stubborn and claim you don't have to and get shot. Your choice. After reading this thread I think wearing orange is the smart choice. Even if you don't have to.

Earlier in this thread I said if I didn't have to wear orange I wouldn't wear it. I should have explained I hunt in a pretty remote area and have never seen another hunter there. If I hunt an area that has hunters i'd wear orange.

Or should we hold the person behind the trigger responsible for his/her actions? I know it's too late to say "I shoulda" after some dum bass has done something stupid but where does this stop.
You tell me. I'm primarily a bird hunter. I've walked past people in tree stands never new they were there until I was almost on top of them. Last year, I passed a bowhunter on the ground in full camo, didnt see him until I was 10 yards away. If they dont let me know where they are, and a bird flushes and I shoot and hit them, whose fault is it? Am I supposed to have some 6th sense to be aware of unseen hunters?

I always have FO on, even if just training dogs. Never know if someone is out coyote hunting or just in the area target shooting, I like to be safe an seen.

I've developed a habit when I hunt an area that has hunters. I don't sit to hunt but sometimes i'll sit on a log to eat a snack or lunch. If I see hunters coming I always yell out......... HUNTER HERE!

In PA, where archery and other gun seasons interact, archers must wear orange while moving and at least hang it next to them in a tree. If using a blind, orange must be hung near it to show it is visible.

What they are required to do and what they really do are two different things. Now I understand if the late flintlock season, hunters want to dress in period clothing, that I have no problem with, there are very few of them. Any other time, if there a firearm season, all hunters should be required to wear the minimum 250 sq inches no matter what you are hunting.

I have a short story and I like to tell about the effectiveness of blaze orange. In 1980 a friend and I were hunting elk ,in the rough breaks along the Missouri River, in Montana. His son, a junior or senior in school, joined us for a few days, it was in the first week of December. His son was hunting deer, we were hunting elk, and he had bought his son Hunter's orange coveralls, that he had to wear, when he was out walking for deer. It was a first time I saw the effectiveness firsthand of that much blaze orange. We could see that boy with the naked eye, when he was over a half a mile away. He stuck out like a sore thumb and it really impressed me with the effectiveness of the color. Needless to say, he never got shot by us or any of the other hunters that were in the area. The name of the game is not how good can I hide, but can I survive, to hunt again.
Squint

I hunted in the snow today. Head to toe snow camouflage. Didn't see another hunter. Saw six deer that never knew I was there. Unfortunately they weren't close enough to get a shot. I made it home alive.

I want to apologize for being heavy-handed! I am just extremely safety-conscious having been shot myself.

I was taught to be extremely cautious about identifying my target and not just a deer, but which rib you will send the bullet through. So there is absolutely no excuse for shooting a person.

I will choose to wear orange because I know there are a lot of idiots in the woods. The choice is obviously up to each and every person.

Latest posts

Back