• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa hunters, do you wear camo during the intlock season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deer can not distinguish green from red.

A red plaid pattern on a Makinaw coat is going to break up the human outline for deer, thus an effective camouflage pattern.

The color red will make you will be visible to other hunters that have normal human color vision.

woolrich_tuxedo_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:
I personally would rather hide from other hunters. Now where I normally hunt, it's private land so there's only me and two others or me and my son's. So we know where we each hunt, no big thing. When on public land, I don't want to be seen. Because just like in a parking lot, you park in no man's land, and what happens, you come out of the store, only to have somebody parked right next to you. Same thing happens when hunting, you're sitting there, somebody walks up, sees you, then proceeds to sit down 50 yards away because to them, you being there means it's a good spot. If they don't see anyone around, chances are they'll keep moving along. I've seen it happen both ways. I'll continue to wear the camo.

I often wore camo in the deer woods. But Maine, among some other states, requires any hat to be orange and orange has to be worn on the back and on the front.

Pa does not require orange during our late flintlock season. You are lucky to see anyone out anyway, but as I said previously, I'd rather go unseen.

One time deer hunting there was a guy in full camo set up about 100 yards from me. I never knew that he was there until he shot. I'm glad that a deer didn't walk between us. He could see me because I was wearing blaze orange. I was unnerving to think that if a deer walked between us, I could have shot, never knowing that he could have been behind the deer. I want other hunters to see me

To each his own. The odds of your scenario happening are rare, enough so the game commission deemed decades ago that orange requirement during flintlock season doesn't affect safety enough to warrant its use. I can't recall ever hearing of someone being mistakenly shot during flintlock season because the shooter was unaware of another hunter nearby.

Here is a recent local incident for your awareness.

A man identified by the Ontario County Sheriff's Office as Zachary T. Barse, 28, of Gorham, was fatally shot while hunting in the Finger Lakes on Thanksgiving Day.

Deputies responded to a location at Cross Road in the town of Phelps and tried to save Barse, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene and taken to the Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy.

A 61-year-old man, Kevin M. Hudson of Clifton Springs, called 911 to report that someone had been shot with a hunting rifle around 11 a.m. Thursday.

A statement from the sheriff provided a summary Friday: "Mr. Barse and Mr. Hudson (acquaintances) were hunting together in a wooded area on the north side of Cross Road in the town of Phelps. Mr. Barse shot a deer and was attempting to track it. That track was leading back in the general direction of where Mr. Hudson was located in a tree stand. As Mr. Barse approached the area of Mr. Hudson's tree stand, Mr. Hudson took a shot."

The shot struck Barse in the upper body, the sheriff said. Hudson climbed down from his tree stand and discovered he had struck Barse. He called 911 and commenced CPR until emergency services arrived.

Barse was wearing camouflage and no orange clothing at the time, sheriff's deputies said.

This was a topic last weekend hunting flintlock for our first time. We ere hunting in the national forst in Pa. and saw a guy in full camo, my son told me that orange is not required and I was dumbfounded. Unless you can be 100% certain there are zero other hunters in the woods, why would you risk your life? It certainly makes no difference to the deer.

I get the period correct aspect but not when there are hunters out there with guns that can kill out to several hundred yards.

Am I missing something?

This may mean something or maybe nothing. I was sitting in a canvas folding chair, on the ground watching a deer trail when several turkeys passed in front of me at about 20 yards. Turkey season had just closed. They were in a perfect little file exactly the same distance in front and behind. I was not hidden and I also was wearing an orange hat and had orange panels on the front of my jacket. Not a one of them looked at me, stopped or even acknowledged my present. They looked just like a little line of monks walking in formation. I thought it very amusing.

This may mean something or maybe nothing. I was sitting in a canvas folding chair, on the ground watching a deer trail when several turkeys passed in front of me at about 20 yards. Turkey season had just closed. They were in a perfect little file exactly the same distance in front and behind. I was not hidden and I also was wearing an orange hat and had orange panels on the front of my jacket. Not a one of them looked at me, stopped or even acknowledged my present. They looked just like a little line of monks walking in formation. I thought it very amusing.
I don’t think turkeys are particularly smart but it’s like they have a sixth sense as to when the season on them is open. I hear Canada geese are one of the hardest geese to bag, but you go to a golf course and could grab one by the neck if you wanted. Same with turkeys. I should have prefaced my earlier statement about walking up on them, with “while hunting them”. I have been within spitting distance of turkeys in Livermore CA, Zion, Milpitas CA, and Sturgis, them just waddling by, not a care for me.

To each his own. The odds of your scenario happening are rare, enough so the game commission deemed decades ago that orange requirement during flintlock season doesn't affect safety enough to warrant its use. I can't recall ever hearing of someone being mistakenly shot during flintlock season because the shooter was unaware of another hunter nearby.
This was during the regular gun season. He was using an inline, which some people use because they are more accurate than a shotgun

Again, to each his own. If you do not feel safe when afield, without wearing orange, then by all means do so. Its not as if you are barred from wearing orange during flintlock season.. I will continue to go forth fully camouflaged. I've yet to have a problem, and I'm not changing at this stage.

It scares me that people arent wearing FO during any gun season. I'm required to wear it hunting small game, why wouldnt it be required of everyone else? Not knowing you are there, I could easily be shooting in your direction and now know you are there.

It scares me that people arent wearing FO during any gun season. I'm required to wear it hunting small game, why wouldnt it be required of everyone else? Not knowing you are there, I could easily be shooting in your direction and now know you are there.
Out here in the west, due to the rugged terrain and lack of road access. It is my choice how far from other people I want to be. Very few people wear hunter orange in my neck of the woods. Accidents/negligence happens here in AZ , but it’s kind of like winning the reverse lottery. Heck there’s many places that I would like to go that are difficult to access on foot.

Last year a guy from here in Pa.was huntin in Colorao with an inline and shot a Archer that was in full camo.The Archer was on the ground.The article stated that they were in a very remote area and didn,t know each other or each others presence.The Pa. guy was huntin Elk and had one bulging and caught movement in the brush and fired.The Elk was no where near where the shootin occurred.The Pa.guy is in a world of trouble.

It’s one thing to shoot at an animal and miss or have a pass through and hit an unseen person. It’s another thing to shoot an unseen person because you shot at his movement because you thought he was an animal. You must be certain of what you are shooting at

Back