• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA flintlock late season flintlock hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not a big fan of those large, get 20 guys in a line and make all the noise you can and spook every animal in the area deer drives either. I prefer to get with one guy and take turns quietly sneaking through the thick bedding areas hoping to get a shot at a bedded deer and if not, having a partner waiting at an escape route.

I use a flintlock in for everything in PA, this includes regular firearms season, bear season, early muzzle loader season and the late flintlock season. I prefer to sit in the mornings and still hunt during the rest of the day. No drives here as I hunt by myself or with one friend. There are not many people hunting in the late season where I hunt and I usually have the woods to myself. I don't consider misfires to be part of muzzleloading and prefer a flintlock over percussion any day. I haven't used a store bought rifle in 20 years, but I would if that is all I had the means to own. They can be reliable with proper cleaning, tuning and preparation. You get out of them what you put in to them.

As a guy that's been caught between deer drives more than once, I will respectfully disagree with you sir 🤣
You're allowed to...

I have more of an issue with the concept of people telling others how to hunt, or complaining about how others hunt than having an issue with how others hunt of that makes any sense.

I grew up driving deer at times, don't do it much anymore. I took been caught in drives from gangs im not with. That hasn't happen much though, and I hunt a lot. Hunted with guys who did drives and never wanted to do it again and hunted with guys who loved it a much as I do.

You're allowed to...

I have more of an issue with the concept of people telling others how to hunt, or complaining about how others hunt than having an issue with how others hunt of that makes any sense.

I grew up driving deer at times, don't do it much anymore. I took been caught in drives from gangs im not with. That hasn't happen much though, and I hunt a lot. Hunted with guys who did drives and never wanted to do it again and hunted with guys who loved it a much as I do.
I get that. I judge no one. I take no issue with how a guy hunts. I don't much care for those that knowingly do illegal $h!t. Ive been a PA resident long enough to know the deer drives are a tradition with a lot of families/clubs. It's admirable in most cases because everyone gets an equal share of the meat. I was invited to hunt with some friends once, and before they started the drive, the first order of business was to carry their 87 yo Pap out to his posting spot. He asked me kind of embarrassed if I thought he was less for letting them do that. I told him HELL NO, I could only hope to be hunting when and if I made it to 87. And guess what? He shot a deer on that drive, dressed it too. He had a small army of sons and grandsons to get him and his deer back to the truck, and they were all happy to do both.

I have lived in PA now for about eight years, but choose not to hunt here. Right now halfway back to my home state of North Dakota for a week of duck hunting with my sons. Between over hunted, congested land and hunters like those in the video it seems preferable to make the 22 hour drive back once a year to hunt in a much safer, more productive area on my family farm.

Also, I have shot numerous deer over the years, most with a 54 using roundball and can only think of one that didn't hit the ground like the proverbial sack of potatoes. I am a firm believer on the shoulder shot though. Even the one that moved didn't make it much beyond 100 yards and that was with a lung shot (not much blood I agree). Still spent the necessary time combing through the brush to find her, which if you are an ethical hunter, is the only choice. The guys on some of those videos are not ones I would care to hunt with. Might be decent folks, but they have no business hunting.

What I do. I use a 12 gauge muzzle loading shotgun with sights and a round ball. I limit my shots to under 30 yards, the longest shot I can get on my land is 50 yards anyway. I want that deer to expire as soon as possible, for humane reasons and I don’t want a long tracking expedition.

Latest posts

Back