• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over charge in the pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Glover

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have shot BP most of my life (54yrs), but only one time with a flinter when I was lets say 19 or 20. I have a TC .50 flint (recently purchased at a flea market) that I shot for the first time last weekend. All my experience is with percussion rifles. The rifle I shot all those years ago belonged to a friend that he had custom made. Flash - Boom time was about nil. Again custom made. Mine went ssssssss {about 2 sec)boom. I loaded with Pyro 2 and primed with Pyro 3. I dont expect custom results from this rifle but thinking I might have overcharged the pan to have such a gap. Pan full or something in between. :confused: Thanks for any advice

I have shot BP most of my life (54yrs), but only one time with a flinter when I was lets say 19 or 20. I have a TC .50 flint (recently purchased at a flea market) that I shot for the first time last weekend. All my experience is with percussion rifles. The rifle I shot all those years ago belonged to a friend that he had custom made. Flash - Boom time was about nil. Again custom made. Mine went ssssssss {about 2 sec)boom. I loaded with Pyro 2 and primed with Pyro 3. I dont expect custom results from this rifle but thinking I might have overcharged the pan to have such a gap. Pan full or something in between. :confused: Thanks for any advice

Pyro is like that, rather sluggish. I'm surprised you got it to fire reliably anyhow. Black powder won't have that lag.

Pyro is like that, rather sluggish. I'm surprised you got it to fire reliably anyhow. Black powder won't have that lag.

Every gun is different .You have to play see what it likes . A lot of people are going to tall you to use real black powder :idunno: Whatever works for you.But I would try real 4f as a primer :v
Have Fun
Phil

Every gun is different .You have to play see what it likes . A lot of people are going to tall you to use real black powder :idunno: Whatever works for you.But I would try real 4f as a primer :v
Have Fun
Phil

About all I use for fast ignition is about 1 press of priming powder ( from a small- med brass primer) barely reaches the touchhole, most always have quick reliable ignition.That is primed with blk powder, I have never used pyro so I can't comment as to that aspect of your situation.

About all I use for fast ignition is about 1 press of priming powder ( from a small- med brass primer) barely reaches the touchhole, most always have quick reliable ignition.That is primed with blk powder, I have never used pyro so I can't comment as to that aspect of your situation.

Try using BLACKPOWDER, 2f to load and 4f to prime. I'll bet you a buckskin that your ignition time will get quicker.

Try using BLACKPOWDER, 2f to load and 4f to prime. I'll bet you a buckskin that your ignition time will get quicker.

”¦ I might have overcharged the pan to have such a gap ”¦

Since this was a point of your asking, more prime is better than less prime. How much is that? You need to shoot, a lot, and determine. Prime is cheap so don't skimp on it, however.
Make sure it is against the touch hole, just as the TC manual suggests. More prime means there is more chance for the sparks to find it. :thumbsup:

Now, save the Pyrodex for your cap guns and get GOEX. Preferably 4F to prime and either 2F or 3F for the main charge. :thumbsup:

”¦ I might have overcharged the pan to have such a gap ”¦

Since this was a point of your asking, more prime is better than less prime. How much is that? You need to shoot, a lot, and determine. Prime is cheap so don't skimp on it, however.
Make sure it is against the touch hole, just as the TC manual suggests. More prime means there is more chance for the sparks to find it. :thumbsup:

Now, save the Pyrodex for your cap guns and get GOEX. Preferably 4F to prime and either 2F or 3F for the main charge. :thumbsup:

I guess you see the recommendations.

I second all the above, you can't use synthetic in a flintlock Not for primer and NOT for the barrel charge. Use blackpowder and you will get boom all the time. Well, most of the time. Ha Ha.

A couple of years ago I e-mailed the pyro folk about using their powder in a flinter. I was told I'd be much happier if I stuck to black powder. graybeard

And if you are like me who was left with some Pyrodex that did not work in the flintlock, it was all the excuse I needed to get a cap gun to use up the Pyrodex. More fun! :grin:

Thanks for all the advice. After reading these comments I remember my friend telling me to use REAL blackpowder. I have some on the way. I didnt realise there was that much difference. Waiting impatiently for it to get here so I can shoot again. Again thanks everyone. :bow:

I fired it twice but stopped cause figured I was doing something wrong. Looked like a 4th July sparkler sittin in the pan. Son in Law thought it was pretty cool tho. :grin:

Latest posts

Back