• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over charge in the pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It takes a little bit of trial and error,but Iuse the smallest amount of powder in the pan that will give me consistant and quick ignition. I have more than 1 flinter,and each one is a bit different about it's priming,with the smoothbore needing the most.You may want to open up the flashhole just a bit also.
I almost forgot.......you should use real BP in a flinter.

I have a L&R Durrs Egg that my prime looks like I peppered it, very sparsley. I would estimate 2 grains?It goes off almost without fail. Usually if it fails the touch hole needs picked. It doesn't take much in my limited experience. As a side benefit the pan needs wiped alot less with the small prime charge.

Ditto on the L&R Durs Egg lock, I've found with that lock on my long rifle that less is a good thing :wink: I use just a light sprinkling in the bottem of the pan, and it goes off every time if I keep my flint sharp and my vent opened. :thumbsup:

Yes, substitutes are futile in a flintlock. I've always used bp. For the pan I also think less is more. Too much prime slows down ignition. In my Silers I use 1/3 to 1/2 pan full - two maybe three grains at most. In big locks, such as Chambers' Colonial Va, it takes four or five grains in that huge pan.

My squirrel LR w/ a small Siler isn't fussy asre the amount of priming. When squirrel hunting whatever comes out of the measure, whether it be less than a panful or over the top of the pan, I just level it w/ a finger and shoot. Don't detect any difference in ignition time w/ these variations. Seems like that's how it should be....years ago in the heat of battle reliabilty was all important....Fred

Back