• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original muzzleloader hunting/shooting ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rifle I have is a small caliber squirrel rifle. I am anxious to shoot and hunt with it but I need to find a competent gunsmith who is familiar with these old percussion guns to work it over and check to make sure everything is safe enough to shoot it. I have been shooting BP for 30 some years but this is my first rifle that is an original. ( to tell you the truth, I can't even say how old it is as the lock looks to be made in the 1800's but the stock sure looks to purty to be that old!). Greg. :grin:

i have an original percussion in .36 cal. it is a half stock, the barrel is a Remington that is 25" long and 1 1/4" across the flats, with a false muzzle. it weighs 11 1/2 pounds and is a great squirrel rifle with prb and 20 grains of 3f.

I shoot some but mostly don’t hunt with original muzzleloaders

William Alexander

Just curious as to why you would shoot them but not hunt them? Are they not accurate enough for hunting? Greg

Mate as a kid I hunted with both an original 3rd model Pat 1853 Enfield, and also a Pat 1842 British percussion musket. I have shot duck and rabbits with my original W and C Scott percussion double barrel shotgun. If they are in good safe order with a good bore, not a problem using an original.
If the gun had individual historical significance, e.g. a pair of Hickocks Navys I might think about not using them. ( I Don't have a pair of Hickocks guns !!)

Critter Getter said:
Just curious as to why you would shoot them but not hunt them? Are they not accurate enough for hunting? Greg

Critter

Most of my originals are handguns, not long guns
I don’t have anything against hunting with originals but I don’t
The guns I hunt with are made to fit my hunting needs

William Alexander

Critter Getter said:

I know that this reply was made to Tinker 2, so I waited for him to answer.

In my own case with that really accurate .36 half stock percussion rifle I owned, I never hunted with it ONLY because I was afraid to severely scar or damage it whilst hunting in the snow or when navigating through dense thickets. IOW, I was afraid a "clod hopping moment" might overtake me and do damage to the gun. :redface: :haha:

Gus

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Once I get this longrifle up and runnin I will be taking it to the woods to try my luck with the tree rats!! Greg. :)

Artificer said:
In my own case with that really accurate .36 half stock percussion rifle I owned, I never hunted with it ONLY because I was afraid to severely scar or damage it whilst hunting in the snow or when navigating through dense thickets. IOW, I was afraid a "clod hopping moment" might overtake me and do damage to the gun. :redface: :haha:

Gus

I do understand that, I forgot about the duck pond :redface:

William Alexander

Originals I shoot/hunted with:

1816 Springfield flint musket
1841 Mississippi Rifle
1842 Springfield Rifled Musket
1842 Springfield Rifle Musket cut to carbine length
1850s vintage percussion half stock .69 cal
1830s vintage percussion english sporting rifle

When I was "a wet behind the ears kid" around 1958-63, I both fired & hunted with MANY original ML rifles & shotguns that belonged to my GF's "play fellows" (As my mother called them) after my GF died.
(The "old boys" as they called themselves were mostly at least 70YY & several were WWI veterans, who had acquired "good used guns" that dated before TWBTS. - Neither they nor I see any reason to NOT shoot/hunt with original firearms.)

Now I'm 69YY & my favorite firearm to take afield for birds/small game is a Birmingham-made 14-bore (that is really "Plain Jane") SxS shotgun that I bought at an estate sale years ago. - It shoots fine, is graceful to look at, is "quick on the birds" & I see no reason to "hang it on the wall, as it's far from a museum piece.
(There are LOTS of perfectly sound/shootable fowlers, rifles & DB shotguns "around" if one looks carefully & I've told several people here to look for a good original, rather than paying a lot more for a replica.)

Note: I just looked in a catalogue (that I received yesterday) that offers a PEDERSOLI SxS 12-bore shotgun for sale for 1750.oo plus S&H.
If one "shops carefully", you can buy "a lot of shotgun" in an original out of Ireland or the UK for that money & that's LOT nicer than my UK DB.

just my OPINION, satx

Latest posts

Back