• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting an original 1860?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This fall I acquired an original 1860 Colt revolver. Never intended to fire it as I have a couple of reproductions. I had it out to photograph the other day, and started thinking I would like to shoot it. The pistol is numbers matching except the wedge which is not numbered. I checked the bore and all cylinders with a light, no significant pitting. The action locks up well.

Would I need to replace the original nipples, and who makes new ones with the correct threads? Replacing the nipples is one of my biggest concerns. I have had a couple of used reproductions where the nipples were very hard to remove and they had not been there a 100 years. I am concerned about damaging the pistol trying to remove them.

If I get that far, what about loads? I was thinking 17 grains Goex fff, wonder wax, then a .454 ball.

Any thoughts/concerns from those that shoot their originals are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-02-14-181503.jpeg
    IMG_2024-02-14-181503.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 7
This fall I acquired an original 1860 Colt revolver. Never intended to fire it as I have a couple of reproductions. I had it out to photograph the other day, and started thinking I would like to shoot it. The pistol is numbers matching except the wedge which is not numbered. I checked the bore and all cylinders with a light, no significant pitting. The action locks up well.

Would I need to replace the original nipples, and who makes new ones with the correct threads? Replacing the nipples is one of my biggest concerns. I have had a couple of used reproductions where the nipples were very hard to remove and they had not been there a 100 years. I am concerned about damaging the pistol trying to remove them.

If I get that far, what about loads? I was thinking 17 grains Goex fff, wonder wax, then a .454 ball.

I've enjoyed shooting history rich original C&B Colts & Remingtons for 5+decades.
Hard to explain the extra enjoyment from shooting 'historically experienced' original firearms !!!

Speaking as a retired gunsmith, these revolvers can be very accurate even with corroded bores as most can be improved with lapping with various grades of 3M abrasive cloth.
First step to making your revolver safe to shoot is to replace the nipples

In almost all instances the nipple-vents in original firearms I've restored have become enlarged & unsafe due to corrosion.
My personal nipple preference is Treso, this company makes top quality replacement nipples to perfectly fit almost every percussion firearm I've restored to shooting condition.
POINT;
On several occasions I've serviced guns where oversized nipple vents on original percussion firearms have allowed enough gas blow-by to escape to blow the hammer completely off the firearms & injure to shooter as well.

*Original nipples can be difficult to remove;
My recommendation to free-up the corrosion is to soak the cylinder for 2-3 days in a 50/50 mixture of acetone & automatic transmission fluid.
Acetone allows deeper penetration of the oil..
*Removing stuck nipples requires a good quality nipple wrench !
The Ted Cash nipple ratchet set works well in most cases but on some original firearms I've also modified 1/4" drive sockets to do remove stubborn nipples.
If cases where top of the nipple breaks off, remove the nipple's base with a small size drill & easy-out & if necessary refresh the threads with a tap.
Don't fret if threads get buggered, Treso also makes nipples with over-sized threads.
Hope this info helps you out.
Relic shooter

Ditto all the above.

Forgot to mention that cylinder chambers on most original Colt 1860s I've shot are larger than most replicas other than the Ruger Old Army & performed best with a .457 dia RB & occasionally a .460 dia RB.

Also, should mention the trick to getting the tightest groups is maintaining consistent 'pressures' shot-to-shot, next comes consistent powder charges & consistent ball weight.
Using top notch quality nipples is the first step..
My 40 year old Ampco alloy nipples from Treso remain in near new condition after thousands of rounds.
Relic shooter

Latest posts

Back