• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions sought triple barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commodore Swab

Blunderbuss Builder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am playing with these triple barrel parts and am thinking about the barrel build. The bottom barrel is a 32 rifle and much smaller than the top two (62smooth and 50 rifle) and tucks under. Naturally the breach forms a triangle but the muzzle is where I'm undecided.
IMG_2023-11-03-13-47-37-250.jpg

Putting both muzzles together is typically what you see in a double. As a rifle this results in an off center bore which typically isn't a big deal in a shotgun. This would form a triangle of barrels.
IMG_2023-11-03-13-48-17-506.jpg

OR
I can drop the bores parallel which leaves a gap between barrels at the muzzle. Normally this would just look bad but being a triple barrel it allows the lower barrel to be tucked in between the 2 forming more of a shallow V. Side profile (half stock) results in a more gentle taper. Unfortunately it does leave a larger gap to fill aesthetically. The pictures are taken of the bottom barrel on top due to clamping ect.
IMG_2023-11-03-13-48-02-047.jpg

IMG_2023-11-03-13-47-49-235.jpg

What is your opinion?

As a rifle this results in an off center bore which typically isn't a big deal in a shotgun.
Does it really matter? I mean nobody is going to be able carry it far or hold it long enough to fire a 3rd shot.
Lord only knows what lock/trigger configuration you have in mind,,
So Obviously it will be or end up as a swivel gun of some sort.
With the weight bearing support of a swivel configuration, each of the rifled barrels will be able to have their own sight index,, lending the regulation of the barrels mute as they will be independent.
Make sense? If not,, then I get that part too,, 3 barrels? Proof that when we ignore history, we're bound to repeat it.

Last edited:
Does it really matter? I mean nobody is going to be able carry it far or hold it long enough to fire a 3rd shot.
Lord only knows what lock/trigger configuration you have in mind,,
So Obviously it will be or end up as a swivel gun of some sort.
With the weight bearing support of a swivel configuration, each of the rifled barrels will be able to have their own sight index,, lending the regulation of the barrels mute as they will be independent.
Make sense? If not,, then I get that part too,, 3 barrels? Proof that when we ignore history, we're bound to repeat it.
Considering the length of the barrels it isn't heavy. I have built swivel guns in the past, ones that needed a swivel. This isn't even close to comparable. I would estimate the weight to be far less than a Potsdam musket. I have thought about a sling however. Locks are regular side locks with the lower being an underhammer. Double triggers with the third being a fold down when brought to full cock.

Nice suggestion, I've looked but to my knowledge there aren't any to look at, at least I'm not familiar with any in my library and neither is TRS. Therefore I thought I would ask for opinions.
I just googled "Drilling Rifles" and there was a slew of them? I used the image feature.

Really, the two top barrels need regulating first, then add the lower barrel.
This would add up to a lot of head scratching though!
On old guns, we often see half the barrel thickness filed away where they are joined.
the two halves make a whole barrel wall, if you see what I mean!
The filing may not be full length, depending on regulation. Normally a wedge has to be inserted between barrels at muzzle to regulate, before the ribs are layed.
To have three calibres in one gun sounds a headache though.

Doesn't matter if it's a flintlock or cartridge, they are all soldered together the same. I don't think a 3 barreled gun is going to work in flint, no where to put three locks on a gun.
Soldered together the same yes. Question wasn't about attachment but opinion on setup.
Left and right are easy, the bottom simply uses an underhammer. This is integrated into the trigger plate. Third trigger is tied to the sear to pop it out on going from half to full cock.

Attachments

• 54919-0f21347772804d8cd8d3acbf26b43648.jpg
    54919-0f21347772804d8cd8d3acbf26b43648.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back