• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions comments on Dixie Jaeger flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless they changed it recently, the nose cap is steel. When I bought mine which was a kit,it and some of the other steel parts had a light blueing finish. I browned all the steel and I think it looks better all brown. It shoots good, don't be scared off if you want to use PRB's.

PRB is all I ever shoot. I was wondering if I can use FFFg in it instead of having to buy FFg?

I'd use it for the main charge and for priming like I currently do with my Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock in .45.

The .54 Davide Pedersoli target flintlock Jaeger rifle has the correct barrel twist rate for hunting with a roundball but of course it is more expensive. Might make a good treestand rifle but for that price you could almost build your own Jaeger with quality parts to your own liking. Customized style and specs.

I posted this before but I'll give you my experience with this same rifle. I loved the way it looked, there is just something about it that appeals to me, so I found one on an auction site for a price I felt I could afford and got it. The rifle fits me perfectly and I love the way it handles, but I could not get it to shoot a patched round ball worth a dang, and that is all I shoot, so I got the name of a fellow that does barrel work, paid him approx.. $150 to bore the original barrel out and rifle it in .58. It came back with beautiful round bottom rifling that is perfect for patched round ball shooting, yes the original rifle ended up costing me $180 bucks more with shipping both ways, and it isn't in the original .54 caliber that I love, but hey, I have the gun I love and it now shoots great, well better than I can. My only heartache is that Pedersoli build such a nice looking, and functioning, flintlock in a great caliber with goofy rifling, and that is what it is in my opinion. If I wanted to shoot that "modern fodder" then I would purchase an inline and put a scope on it, but I am a traditional kind of guy, and a flintlock should shoot patched round ball, and that is all there is too it. I know the target model has the slower round ball rifling, but I didn't like the fancy aspect of that model, wanted the plain hunter model, so I paid the price to get what I really wanted. Good luck with what ever you do.

IowaShooter said:
PRB is all I ever shoot. I was wondering if I can use FFFg in it instead of having to buy FFg?

I'd use it for the main charge and for priming like I currently do with my Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock in .45.

Actually I use a used .45-70 case. It just happened to work filled and leveled off with FFFg Goex. I'll have to look in my notes, but I think it's 80-85 gr. by volume.

One thing I do not understand about the Pedersoli Jaeger is what kind of a Jaeger were they trying to copy? The curve of the buttplate seems to be far greater than either a civilian or a military Jaeger.

You mean Pedersoli put out a product that sorta matches a style, but not quite? SHOCKING :shocked2:

:haha:

LD

Aint it the truth. I actually think the rifle in question resembles an English hunting rifle more than a Jaeger, but what ever it looks like I really do like mine, it is my favorite flintlock.

I tried looking at other rifles on the Pedersoli Site to figure out if they used the buttplate on the Jaeger from one of their other rifles. Though not HC, that would make at least some sense for a manufacturer. I could not find one the same, though.

Gus

Loyalist Dave said:
You mean Pedersoli put out a product that sorta matches a style, but not quite? SHOCKING :shocked2:

:haha:

LD

Are we talking semi-sorta-kinda? :wink: :haha:

IowaShooter said:

Sure...old rule of thumb is knock back you FFg charge 15% to 20%.

That's what I figured.

I'm saving up my money to buy one as soon as I can afford it. My wife seems to think that the money would be better spent on other stuff. Silly her. :doh:

Latest posts

Back