• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions comments on Dixie Jaeger flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always liked my Pedersoli and the looks of that jaeger too. My hunch is you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Zonie. Funny to see a post of my own in that thread. I know I got interest in this style of rifle from some of the posts on this forum. I've liked the Pedersoli version and was looking around for one. I see that Dixie also has a Jaeger kit, but it's a bit intimidating for me to think of building a kit when I know I'm not very good at such things. I just like the look of this rifle.

I would stay away from the 1 in 24 twist. will only shoot bullets or very low rd ball loads. eire regardless of what they say. bullets did not com out the minie ball was developed

What you said about fast twist barrels shooting only bullets is partially true.

Most of the current fast twist barrels have very shallow rifling grooves and these usually do poorly shooting patched roundballs.

Jaeger rifles on the other hand have had fast twist barrels for over 130 years before the invention of the minie' bullet or the other elongated slugs used in the mid-1850's.
These fast twist barrels date to before the French & Indian war at least back to 1730 and earlier.

It was not uncommon for a Jaeger to have a 24" long barrel with one full twist in the rifling grooves between the breech and the muzzle.

The catch here is, these Jaeger's rifling grooves were deeper than the grooves used for shooting slugs.

The Pedersoli Jaeger has followed this line of thinking and its rifling grooves are .006 deep.
That's twice as deep (or more) as the rifling grooves in a slug shooting barrel which often range from .0015 to .003 deep.

The bottom line is, the Pedersoli Jaeger can shoot patched roundballs accurately, even with large powder loads.

Great rifle and an easy kit to build. Mine shot better than me and I wish I hadn't sold it. Very easy to "personalize" in it's kit form like inlays or carving. You won't be disappointed.

That's a neat rifle but in my opinion it's pricey for what you get. The Frontier/Blue Ridge and Brown Bess kits are much better products with a better price IMHO.

Read the reviews. It seems these do have a problem with frizzen hardness and possibly lock quality.

Good things to know about and be aware of.

I currently have a Pedersoli Kentucky and it shoots great. The lock works great and the frizzen throws a lot of spark. It goes boom every time I need it to.

The kit on DGW for the Jaeger is more expensive than the built gun for some reason. :youcrazy:

Generally I like the Pedersoli Jaeger Rifle. Zonie is right on with respect to the rifling. That rifle has relatively deep rifling that will work with a patched round ball and may actually be too deep for a slug.

The one thing I don't like about the rifle is the mystery composite nose cap. They want to replicate an ebony nose cap but without the expense. You can replace the nose cap, but that won't improve the shooting capabilities.

One thing I do not understand about the Pedersoli Jaeger is what kind of a Jaeger were they trying to copy? The curve of the buttplate seems to be far greater than either a civilian or a military Jaeger.

Gus

Gus I guess the closest is 19th Century. Most of the ones I have seen from that time period have wooden guards and are somewhat plain compared to the 18th Century rifles.

I have a pedersoli jager with iron furniture and the fast twist barrel. I shot patched round ball in front of 65 grains of FFFg with enough accuracy for my purposes. I like the gun a lot and it is my go to rifle. I carry it for reenacting and I'm planning on taking it to deer season this fall. No issues with the lock here. I bought it used about a year ago for around the same price as that new one. I suggest jumping on it.

The nose cap is of little concern for me. It's just for show and I doubt it will make me a better or worse shooter. :haha:

I know of someone that has a Pedersoli Jaeger in percusion with an L&R Flintlock that can be switched back and forth. Guns in great condition.

He is wanting to sell it! It would be below Dixie's sale price.

It also comes with a hard case and loading accessories too!

You can PM me and I will get you in contact with him.

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

54ball said:
Gus I guess the closest is 19th Century. Most of the ones I have seen from that time period have wooden guards and are somewhat plain compared to the 18th Century rifles.

Never thought about that and you may well be right, though even the 19th century original guns I've seen did not have that much curvature in the butt plate.

Gus

That's true most of the later one I have seen have almost a flat butt. Some have no buttplate and are carved like they do, kind of like some of the fine late 19th Century doubles.

IMO, the NICE thing about the rather flat buttplates on the original Jaegers was/is they are easier on the shoulder for recoil and more like modern shooters prefer overall.

For some time now, Pedersoli has paid attention to whether at least some of their products would pass scrutiny/inspection for International Muzzleloading Association sanctioned matches. When their guns pass those rules, they can sell more guns. To pass that criteria, the gun must be a pretty faithful copy of at least one original gun and better still when it follows a general style of original firearms. I would sure like to know what original Jaeger, if any, Pedersoli used to copy that buttplate.

Gus

Latest posts

Back