• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening Day Stats

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthompson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Opening day stats....Deer-1...Me-0

My very first Muzzleloader hunt and all that I seen were squirrels and plenty of them. The weather may have had something to do with it because it drizzled rain all day and I never seen another hunter all day. Apparently they were not moving either.
I am going to get up and give it another try tomorrow morning.

vthompson said:

My very first Muzzleloader hunt and all that I seen were squirrels and plenty of them. The weather may have had something to do with it because it drizzled rain all day and I never seen another hunter all day. Apparently they were not moving either.

Actualy you'd be surprised on how much deer move on a drizzly day. A down pour they will find some cover and wait it out but light rain don't bother them at all. Shot a few in the rain myself. Just keep at it. :thumbsup:

Hang in there fella. It can all change in a New York minute. Sit still and don't move or sneak about slow and quiet - whichever your tactic.

If it were you (1) and Deer (0) somebody wouldn't have made it home today!

For what its worth, I'd rather hunt on a cloudy / misty / drizzly / light rainy day than a bright hot one...they move more and longer during daylight hours when its darker and more cloudy. As far as deer sightings go, depending on what part of the country you're hunting in, many deer have disappeared back deep into the thickets and are actually breeding right now...normal woods and field edges can appear "deserted" for a few days when that happens. Then they'll start stepping back out cruising for any leftover Does that might need to be bred...but a lot of the good November rut movement activity is winding down here

Swampy said:
vthompson said:

Actualy you'd be surprised on how much deer move on a drizzly day. A down pour they will find some cover and wait it out but light rain don't bother them at all. Shot a few in the rain myself. Just keep at it. :thumbsup:

I LOVE to hunt in the rain...Course I live in Oregon.

Back