• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA 2023 Flintlock season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Weatherman said rain would hold off until 5PM today for the opening day, so I had all my stuff in the truck last night. Wife woke up early on her day off and made me breakfast. Put on my new Christmas merino long johns under my hunting clothes and headed out to my prime hunting spot. I noticed in my driveway that I had to turn my windshield wipers on medium, and my fog lights to cut the fog. Looked at my weather app and moderate rain predicted all day. Went anyway, and got a free cup of coffee at Sheetz. Sat in the truck at my trail head to finish the coffee and went home.
Same weather tomorrow I guess, and probably no free coffee, but I'll probably shoot at the covered range, so making lemons to lemonade.

Grandson and I pulled into the parking lot to see seven vehicles already there. We saw zero deer, 7 hunters, a dead buck in the stream and after three hours went home. No rain but foggy.

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
I went this morning, rain held off a bit. Saw one tiny deer at about 40 yards, but didn’t even pick up my gun, I could have put her in my pocket( slightly exaggerated ). Nothing in my coon sets either. But did have some luck on the evening arrowhead hunt, so overall a great day.

Attachments

• 9CC76875-C44B-4FAE-A030-8CB404C4FD59.jpeg
    9CC76875-C44B-4FAE-A030-8CB404C4FD59.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
It is crazy rain. drizzle, and mist everyday. I took the dog out to mountain trails today, and it was really hard to see 100 yards on a logging road. I guess rain predicted tomorrow and Saturday too.
My hunting buddy took the week off to hunt. He is not too happy.

Same weather here in Pittsburgh, weather report said no rain so of course it rained and the fog was super thick. Temp was 16° colder than they said it would be as well. My grandson wants to hold out for a buck since he already got a doe in archery season.
Life hasn’t worn him down yet LOL

I went out today for the first time this season. Just as I was about to leave my daughter, Son and wife all said they wanted to go along. I'm always happy when they want to hunt. So we did a family outing. My wife and son sit together and me and my daughter sit together. Seen 1 deer to far away to shoot. We had a great time. We spent more time laughing and having fun then looking for deer. It was a great hunt.

Attachments

• 20231228_153016.jpg
    20231228_153016.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I went this morning, rain held off a bit. Saw one tiny deer at about 40 yards, but didn’t even pick up my gun, I could have put her in my pocket( slightly exaggerated ). Nothing in my coon sets either. But did have some luck on the evening arrowhead hunt, so overall a great day.
Nice, what part of the state are you in?

Saw tracks 1/4 mile from my tree stand in the fresh snow this morning, but never even saw a bird.
I guess it snowed a 1/2 inch while I was in the tree stand.
Super quiet and relaxing, except for the occasional snow dump from the mountain laurel.
I shot off the rifle when I got back to the 4runner. It went off quick. I figured it was time for a clean and fresh load for the next outing.
This is in 4D tag area, Bald Eagle Forest, in Centre County.

Attachments

• IMG_7762.jpg
    IMG_7762.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7763.jpg
    IMG_7763.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7770.jpg
    IMG_7770.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
I went Saturday with a group of buddies and was lucky enough to shoot this beautiful coyote on a drive. Wet weather was a challenge but always fun with some buddies and a flintlock in hand

Attachments

• 033980EC-B495-4596-8920-DD9D3472774C.jpeg
    033980EC-B495-4596-8920-DD9D3472774C.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Got lucky on Thursday morning around 8:15am this buck came in from 100 yards out directly downwind idk how he didn't smell me but he didn't. He turned broadside at 20 yards and I couldn't pass him up with my Lyman Deerstalker. .54 cal! I passed several other larger bucks in bow and rifle but not with the flinter! 70 grains of FFF a 300 grain conical did short work. He ran about 50 yards and fell over.

Attachments

• flintlock buck.jpg
    flintlock buck.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 0
  • fb 1.jpg
    fb 1.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 0
  • fb 2.jpg
    fb 2.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 0
I went Saturday with a group of buddies and was lucky enough to shoot this beautiful coyote on a drive. Wet weather was a challenge but always fun with some buddies and a flintlock in hand
I bet not many can say they have gotten a yote with flint. Good job mister.

Back