• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Only one gun allowed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You can only have one muzzleloader! What do you choose?

• Flintlock Rifle 45 cal or smaller

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Flintlock Rifle 50 cal or larger

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • Flintlock Fowler (bore of choice)

Votes: 60 31.4%
  • Percussion Rifle 45 cal or smaller

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Percussion Rifle 50 cal or larger

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Any Military Style Musket

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Percussion Smoothbore

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters
So no blunderbuss or cannon options?

I have one im building combination 50 rifle, 62 smooth, and 38 rifle. For a single piece that would be my choice.

No love for a handgun?

I understand these polls are just for fun and conversation, but @CaptainVane makes a good point. I think there are a number of forum members who are primarily handgunners. Personally, I would stick with my first choice on the poll, but it would be great to have a pistol/revolver option among the choices for those who prefer them.

Inclusivity, y’know. No shooter left behind….

Notchy Bob

The gun magazine writers have been doing articles about this forever; every year or so, there's another "one gun" write up concerning "un-mentionables"; usually it comes down to a shotgun, or a .22 rifle. It's a fun exercise because it forces you to think of all the possible scenarios and uses for a particular gun that you don't normally consider. 🤓

I've already cast my vote and I'll stick to it. BUT an earlier post got me to thinking. If you were going after a gun that could do it all and didn't rely much on available flints or caps, Well a Matchlock musket or Arquebus could be the answer. All you need is a rope or punk or something to touch it off, you can make your own powder without much fuss, and well anything you shove down that bore is coming out of there.

I’m d prefer a rifle in a medium to large caliber.
Having said that a decent smooth bore is a bit more versatile if only putting meat in the pot. Though the range may at times be and issue

That would be my pick as well.

AGREED.

In fact while the longrifle was very popular in the United States, the 20 gauge trade gun was the overall favorite in Canada.
In my area I can get shots at deer well under 50 yards. Shot vs. squirrel, rabbit, upland birds, and turkeys.

LD
I agree! Plus, you can’t just shoot whatever you want with a rifle like you used to be able to during those periods. At least, not here in Ohio. Unless you want a friendly visit from a Game Warden 😅

Either my Virgina rifle or my poor boy rifle. Both flinters and both 50's. I just love the flint and the caliber. If it must be a percussion I would say my .577 Enfield 1853 three banded rifle. Great accuracy + heavy ball = food!

Back