• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One Long Gun And One Handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.62 Fusil de Chasse and my .62 French Dragoon pistol.

Attachments

• 4016CE3B-6449-4AFE-AAC4-C321C688F148.jpeg
    4016CE3B-6449-4AFE-AAC4-C321C688F148.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
If you had to choose one muzzleloading long gun and one handgun for all of your firearms needs, including hunting and defense, what would they be? Thanks
AH resurrection of an old thread..., well if one was talking of a dystopian future.... The major problem would be by the time it was down to BP muzzleloaders, putting calories on the table.

My .75 SLP Bess, because it doesn't need caps, it's robust and durable, it takes a bayonet which I also have, has a metal ramrod, and is large enough bore to take geese, as well as big game...,

And a 20 gauge Howda SxS pistol, as I can cover the caps on the nipples with beeswax so it effectively is good in wet weather, and a 20 gauge short shotgun with #4 buckshot is rather formidable up close and personal.

ACTUALLY...,
I'd more likely carry my Browning recurve bow with several different tips for different game (quiet and works in the rain), and would've stockpiled a cattleman carbine with a cylinder that takes fixed BP metallic cartridge ammo in .45 Colt which I also stockpiled, (plus the original cap-n-ball cylinder). So I wouldn't be out of modern ammo when everybody else was..... ;)

WHICH is what I'd like to see on Netflicks, btw. A show set in dystopian future, with decent writing, where the folks have modern stuff, but they horde it only for defending the town, and they use bows and flintlocks for hunting and such, and use a LOT of 18th century tech because it was sustainable, to use an overused term. I'd like to see a character dressed like an F&I Trekker, but has a small PDW also slung across his back, in case of two-footed predators....

LD

This is one of those questions that has contengencies. Not that that’s bad, but it affects my choices. If I was transported somewhere like Robinson Carouso, I would pick a sxs flintlock and a flint pistol. If all guns besides BP just vanished and there was a limit of 2 I’d go Fowler and 1860 Army.

Wait…a cannon is a long gun..right? Can I have a Napoleon? And a smoothbore pistol.

For backup if my lack unmentionables run out of fuel 😬

Attachments

• Danish Jaeger img 2403.JPG
    Danish Jaeger img 2403.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 0
  • French Fusil, Deathwind Arms, full view lock side #1.JPG
    French Fusil, Deathwind Arms, full view lock side #1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
NW trade gun ,20 ga. ....and one cut down to a pistol , blanket gun 20 ga. :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673283058344.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673283058344.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230508_120251~2.jpg
    IMG_20230508_120251~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Back