• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Older Pedersoli Shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't find any double percussion shotguns around here for less than $500.00. There were three at the last show and none less than $550.00.

My "little brother" (Ed is 71" tall & 240 pounds, so he's just YOUNGER, despite us calling him "the little brother") recently bought a UK-made SxS 12-bore DB for 275.oo + S&H off one of the auction sites.
(He's also found any number of other "good deals" over the last 2 years on gunbroker & other such sites.)

It's NICE, too, so there are some DEALS out there if you're patient & watch carefully.
(ImVho, the two "keywords" are "patient" & watchful".)

yours, satx

Some of the best deals on muzzleloading shotguns are originals, particularly the English ones. The beauty and grace of the stock architecture usually put the reproductions to shame.

If you need a choked gun, however, you are probably out of luck, as most of the few people who do jug choking will not touch a Damascus barrel,( understandably ),and some will not even choke a non-damascus original.
A lot of the nicest guns have Damascus barrels, which are perfectly safe at black powder pressures if there is no pitting between the wraps.

If you walk along the trap and skeet ranges at Friendship you will see most of the competitors merrily banging away with 140 year old and older originals with good results.

A few years ago a good friend of mine bought an excellent British made 12 gauge double with very good bores with engraving and a few inlays for $500 that shoots great. It has a comb that is a little straighter than most double shotguns, and doesn't smack us in the face with heavy loads.
A modern reproduction gun of similar quality and design would probably have to retail for at least $2500 dollars.

AGREED 100% . - I'm "addicted to" English & Irish 19th Century double-guns, particularly CAPE-GUNS that are > .60 caliber rifled by 12 or 10 bore smoothie.

At the last BIG gun-show that I attended this year, I saw (but didn't have the cash to buy = DRAT!!) a .62x12-bore CapeGun, with the most elaborate engraving that I've yet seen on a "working gun".- Even the screw heads were engraved with designs.= 2,000.ooUSD.
(And YEP you're correct, you couldn't get a weapon built that is that fine for anywhere near 2,000.oo in 2015.)

yours, satx

I measured the bores on the shotgun I purchased and they are measuring around 0.710"-0.715". Would this put them in the neighborhood of being choked modified?

Jeff

Those are identical (within the limits of accuracy) to my 1978 Pedersoli 12 gauge. I believe they are cylinder. My understanding is that Pedersoli was matching the bore size to standard 12 gauge plastic wads.

13 gauge card wads and overshot cards should be just right in that gun.

As you noticed, it's a light gun. I use 68 to 72 grains of FFg and 7/8 to 1 1/16 ounce of shot, which work well for me. Brown Bear gets better patterns with Fg using card wads.

Is it choked?
Chrome bored?

They were choked and chrome lined.
Mine before honing was modified right and either cylinder or IC left. I believe it was cylinder bored.
The right choke was honed out to cylinder by a gunsmith. He complained the chrome wore out his hone. Not easy job.
With chokes they are near impossible to load.
BTW, I see old and repro dbl. ml shotguns at gun shows and pawn shops frequently in the $100.00 to $200.00 category.

Rifleman1776 said:
Is it choked?
Chrome bored?

They were choked and chrome lined.
Mine before honing was modified right and either cylinder or IC left. I believe it was cylinder bored.
The right choke was honed out to cylinder by a gunsmith. He complained the chrome wore out his hone. Not easy job.
With chokes they are near impossible to load.
BTW, I see old and repro dbl. ml shotguns at gun shows and pawn shops frequently in the $100.00 to $200.00 category.

Glad I dont, Id be poor real quick. Round here it would bring $450.00 pretty qucik

I also have that same shotgun. Mine is choked Rt .006 and Lft .013 and I load 70gr FFg or Fg when I can get it, 2 .074 X .735 12ga over powder cards, one 12ga fiber wad lubed with Ox Yoke Wonderlube, 470gr #7 shot (a bit over 1 1/16 oz and an over shot card. I don't consider this combination overly hard to load and I am pretty sure I'm getting a good seal. By the way there is no way I would sell mine for $350.

Unless its beat up, you got a great deal at about half what they're selling for on on-line auction sites these days. Viewing gunbroker today I saw two Pedersoli double shotguns starting at $850 each and one starting at $700.

Don't pay any attention to Rifleman1776's pricing. He had one of these shotguns once and probably wants it back. Rifleman1776 _had_ a double Pedersoli :haha:

Latest posts

Back