• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Sturbridge Village Firearms/Militia Exhibit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must of missed that whole exibit at Sturbridge Village in Mass. Was too busy eating the Ham and Pea Soup cooked over a wood fire as it was a cold and rainy day. Other great exibits with old stuff I have been to are the Cowboy Musem in Oklahma City, the Military Museum in OKC , The Pebody Musem in Salem Mass, the Kittery NAVAL Musem on the Portsmouth Naval shipyard. you need your CAC Card to get onbase. The have a Brass NAVY 44-40 Gattling gun and older Marine Muskets and such, I actually donated a reall cool 200 year old item they have in the glass display case. Colonial Wiliamsburg has a Great Working Museum and also old Yorktown in Jamestown VA where you can watch them fire Blanks with Matclocks. now that must have been interesting to hunt with. how do you sneek thru the wilds of the new world with a slow match burning? Does anyone know how to make these wood powder measures . Take NOTE! When he Fires the BLANK. He does NOT Point the gun at a People! that would just be stupid! View attachment 101054View attachment 101055View attachment 101056
poor picket fence! LOL!

As mentioned, shot some video, shot from the hip, didn't really have an organized plan in mind, just a 1:00 video of some clips. Best!

just an outstanding video. makes me want to shut this thing down and leave to go there!! I wish it was longer. a truly beautiful place and you portrayed it in a beautiful time of the year with out any tourist's in it. KUDDO'S TO YA!!

Just after we were married, my wife took me to visit her mom and family in Boxford, Mass.
She was raised in a house that was built in 1806. Walking through the front door was a step into colonial America. Her mom had done a masterful job of appointing the home with period correct and serviceable antiques. The place had eight fireplaces and was replete with hidden passages. The large cooking fireplace in the kitchen was a sight to behold. (There are a number of these home types in the area)
I was given to understand that my trip east would not be complete without a visit to OSV. So we went.
That was forty-five years years ago. It was an awesome place then - I can't imagine what it's like now. I'd like to go back, but as it turns out, with age comes limitations...

I skipped going there in 1971 with my wife, I wanted to go to Springfield Armory, The Armory had been closed since 1968, I did not know that. A guard took me through and gave me a private tour.
But seeing these pictures now i wish I had gone there too.
Great information, Thanks
Yeah, I believe the Armory is now open as a Nat'l. Historic Site. Pretty cool, the private tour then!

Been to OSV as a kid several times and then a decade ago with the kids. I'll have to get back up there. Thanks for posting

I remember field trips there as a kid. Cool place!

forgot to mention that a neighbor worked there. I want to say that he was involved in the printing press there. It’s been a long time so I don’t remember. I know he used to make walnut ink from the shells and quill pens from goose feathers. I still have one 30 years later.

Yes the Springfield Armory is open for tours, that is certainly on my to do list.
so it is open to the public, no private in advance required? if so that is great! what hours are the museum open? thank's.

MAPMFF, thanks' my friend. it is only a 100 miles for me to get there. not a problem. toot.

Had a chance today to get back to one of my favorite spots in New England which is Old Sturbridge Village (OSV) located in Sturbridge, Massachusetts. It is a very large living history museum that covers more than 200 acres and recreates an 1830's New England village, some of its buildings are built new on site, but the vast majority are older period homes which were donated or otherwise acquired by the museum and moved to its property and reassembled. Took my girlfriend along as it was a beautiful fall day today to explore the grounds. A highlight is the a small unassuming building containing their militia and firearms exhibit. Took some photos and new the MLF would like to see.

View attachment 100794
Too freakin’ cool!!
I help with the iron work on that carriage!
I worked at the village for 15+ years
Nice to come across this

Back