• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

not shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Central Texas oos dry. All the spring rain we had made plenty of grass. Now it is too dry to shoot my black powder guns. A single smoldering patch or wad and the whole community would go up in smoke. I will have to wait for rain, but will be watching what goes on here.
Not making smoke
Bunk

We had this issue in Indiana a few years back. I was concerned about smoldering patches.
It's been dry here this summer, but we have occasional rain to keep things from burning up.

Central Texas oos dry. All the spring rain we had made plenty of grass. Now it is too dry to shoot my black powder guns. A single smoldering patch or wad and the whole community would go up in smoke. I will have to wait for rain, but will be watching what goes on here.
Not making smoke
Bunk
Same here in central Mississippi and back home in Louisiana too. One of the driest summers in memory. There’s a big, blocking high pressure system sitting over the south. Brings hot and dry, but also keeps things quite in the Gulf of Mexico.

we have by far the wettest summer ever here in VT. we had a bad flood and a bunch of flash floods after the real flood due to saturated ground. fields are too we to get the mowers out on them even when we do have a decent spell of two dry days we can't get the hay in because the ground is too soft to support the machines.. . this bridge was right accross the street from my place.
IMG_7029.jpg

driving down town.. this was right in front of the fire station before it got really crazy..
IMG_7013.jpg

hope you guys get some rain! we don't need any more...

Using Corn meal and a patch , I never had a smoldering patch or well soaked wad come to think of it with my bear grease lube never burned a patch.
Ballshooter thanks, but I am not willing to take a chance. The 1851 is a convertible (Krist conversion) and can still be used as an unmentionable that dates to 1871.
bunk

I have witnessed large sparks come out the barrel of a 40cal rifle and land in the leaves. I would think larger bores would be even more prone to this. I think the move for you folks is to shoot in a gravel pit with no vegetation.

Was out Sunday for a shoot, a flash from the pan was just unpleasant. Over 90 seems just too toasty to enjoy shooting
Fayette County Texas 4:pM my outside in the shade thermometer says 103 and I don't play outside.
I stay inside with a cup of coffee and peruse the forum.
Occasionally making intelligent (I hope) remarks and refrain from snarky ones.
Not making smoke
Bunk

Fayette County Texas 4:pM my outside in the shade thermometer says 103 and I don't play outside.
I stay inside with a cup of coffee and peruse the forum.
Occasionally making intelligent (I hope) remarks and refrain from snarky ones.
Not making smoke
Bunk
Boy here in AK we've been thinking perhaps we should start work on an ARK it's been so wet ! I think we have had something like five days without some form of rain all spring and summer !

A single smoldering patch or wad and the whole community would go up in smoke.
Last year in Gonzales, Texas, at the Come and Take It Festival, during the skirmish reenactment, a wad (that shouldn't have been loaded!) started a tiny fire. A couple of Texas Army militia went out, one stomped on the fire, and it splashed like stomping in a puddle! Others ran out, and we started pouring our canteens on the fire, to no avail. 🔥
We waved to the spectators, and yelled to bring water bottles. The volunteer militia (spectators) responded, and we got the 20' diameter fire extinguished. :thumb:
The funniest part of this was, just a few hours earlier, we were in the parade with fire trucks from a dozen different near-by communities, but none of the trucks were here for the skirmish fire. 🧑‍🚒

Same here in Arizona we have had 30 days of 115-124 degrees and no rain for 5-6 months, county wide burn restrictions in effect
My son moved from MD to Tempe couple years ago. Loves it. He lives with snakes and scorpions. Been a hundred billion degrees lately there. The boy has lost his mind.

Was out Sunday for a shoot, a flash from the pan was just unpleasant. Over 90 seems just too toasty to enjoy shooting

I don’t do ANYTHING outside when the temperature goes over 85 degree’s unless I am getting paid, or it just HAS to be done.
So I am basically in what I call my “Summer Hibernation” from mid-June until about 5 September.
I absolutely hate hot weather. Sweat running down my face and the crack of my %# gets old fast. It’s bad enough here in SW Missouri, but I don’t see how the people who live in MS, LA, SC, TX stand it, especially with all the humidity added.

Safer to shoot in the outdoor grass than at a range with astroturf….

Been ok in KY. Hot, but occasional rain. I’m taking Boy Scouts shooting next weekend. Even taking my mortar..😉

Went shooting with my son last Sat. Was hot..but better than sitting on the sofa

Wore out three knee caps and a pair of boots stomping out a fire I started in CA hunting pigs on our ranch in my youth.

Needless to say, my BP hunting was a spring time green grass adventure after that.

Where I shoot here on the desert you couldn't start a fire with a flamethrower, nothing but rocks for about a square mile.
Besides it's already too hot for a fire. 105 today, coolest day for several weeks.

T

Latest posts

Back