• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non -productive day of hunting/ Now what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatelvis

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you do after a day of hunting, and you have a loaded RB in the rifle? (And not hunting for about another week). Shoot it, pull the ball, CO2 method, etc.?

I pull it out, or blow it out with compressed air depending on where I am...then wipe/lube the bore appropriately...I never shoot it out
:imo:

I usually just leave the load in the barrel until i get a shot, or the season runs out. Haven't had any problems with doing it that way yet. Since i am the only one that uses MY gun, i kow that it is loaded, so there is no chance of someone picking it up and firing it while loaded that didn't know it was.

I'm like rebel. I leave mine loaded (but unprimed) until I either get a shot at something or the season runs out. Safety of the bore is not a concern. It can be left with a load down the pipe for years with no ill effects. The choice of whether to clear the bore or not depends on the likelyhood of someone accidently fireing it.

Leave mine loaded a week at a time usually, but at the end I fire--safely--and then run a swab. Haven't had any problems this way yet, other than reminding myself to check my ramrod depth before proceeding....an empty gun is just a fancy War Club, and a double-loaded gun is a pipe-bomb waiting for a place to happen. :results:

IF you leave it loaded between hunting trips (uncapped or unprimed, of course), then you should tag the gun with a card that says LOADED. Don't recommend leaving it loaded. :nono: Muzzle Blasts had article showing how breeches were ringed with rust from long-term storage of loaded guns. :results:

Shoot something!!!

Take out your frustrations on that old pop can by the mound of dirt...

Blow the [bleep] out of it...

Then go home and clean your gun and have nice thoughts about next week afield... :winking:

If I'm gonna be hunting for two or three days I'll leave the load in. But longer than that and I'm gonna scare any squirrel that shows itself at the end of the day!

I find an old stump or dead tree and get my sniff fix! :: I love tending to my gun, bathing it in hot water and scrubbing the bore. It anyone finds this offensive, then what are you doing here?! :m2c:

If I'm going to be hunting the next day, I leave the gun unprimed but loaded and outside (but covered) overnight. If it's going to be more than two days I fire it at the end of the day and clean her.

I do the same, so the condensation from bringing it inside doesn't happen. Unless it has been raining, then I shoot it and clean it well.

Back