• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie Rev War musket advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Been lurking for a while - finally signed up. Have been shooting and collecting firearms (mostly US .mil issue and copies) since I was a teen. Started with Civil War, moved to WW2, then Vietnam, then GWOT.

Have recently been reading about the Rev era (lots of local history here!) and am thinking of picking up a clone/repro .mil musket (Brown Bess or Charleville?) as a wall hanger and occasional shooter. Still in my research phase, reading books, and learning a lot. Appreciate all the expertise here.

Any advice or direction on a good entry point .mil musket choice(s) from the Rev era is appreciated!

TFB

I have originals and repros of both.

VeteranArms is who I recommend for the cheaper muskets (Indian). I have a 3rd model bess from them that I got for my first musket, and now I have about 12 muskets so it did its job getting me into them. And I still like it

You can find a nicer Italian or Japanese repro at an auction for about 900ish. These will look a lot more correct in terms of weight and size.

You can find genuine 3rd model brown Bess examples for around 2k if you’re patient, less if you go with a Springfield which is pretty much identical to charlys and they’re cool as heck especially if you’re American. 2nd model brown Bess muskets will be more which is period correct pieces. Don’t spend your money on original charlevilles until you’re seasoned, they’re a lot haha

Yes, global war on terror. There’s a surprisingly large shooting/collecting community for the recent military arms of the US 2001-present.

Thanks for the tips and pls keep them coming! Sounds like there’s general consensus that Miroku made some of the most accurate commercial repros?

Hi TF,
The Miroku Charleville is a very good reproduction. Their Brown Bess is not. The parts on the Bess are good quality but the stock is poorly shaped, the trigger guard is oddly flattened unlike any original Besses, the butt plate too small, no attachment for the sling swivels, and the stamped markings on the lock are cartoonish. There are no good commercial Brown Bess reproductions in my opinion.

dave

Thanks Dave – super helpful info.

Being new to this era of collecting and shooting, it seems strange that reputable manufacturers made inaccurate copies! I guess the next logical question is: where do discerning folks go to get an accurate repro Bess (or any period martial flintlock)?

Thanks Dave – super helpful info.

Being new to this era of collecting and shooting, it seems strange that reputable manufacturers made inaccurate copies! I guess the next logical question is: where do discerning folks go to get an accurate repro Bess (or any period martial flintlock)?
Reputable manufacturers make the reproduction copies to be easy to manufacture and meet a sales price point and still be safe to shoot. Making an accurate copy, might lead to the copies being passed off as originals. That's why we see the deep stamping, incorrect thread sizes in the bolts and simplification of stock designs as more profit can be made.

You see what you want to see.
Stock shape is endless compared repros that are often wrong on some details.
My favorite gun is my fusil de chase from Centermark. Is it authentic to a true FDC? No. The barrel is heavier, the stock maple, real ones were walnut, there is difference in stock shape. It’s minor. And you would have to know real ones very well to spot the differences.
Do they matter?
Not to me, but if they matter one will never be happy with a Centermark.
A bess from perdisoli or loyalist arms will have lots of little details that’s wrong compared to an original. Will they matter?
Only if you are concerned about them. But if you are then all those little details will matter a lot
I have a southern mountain rifle. Such guns were fitted with English style locks. Mine has a German style. Completely wrong.
I enjoy the gun, it’s on display in my living room. But the lock always mocks me. It’s there. Smiling like Cheshire Cat it tells the world I messed up when I built it.
However it never bothered me enough to sell the gun and build another.

Totally get it. I have a clone of a 2000s US .mil sniper rifle that is 100% accurate except for the scope: right manufacturer, right model, wrong turret caps. Would 98% of folks notice, no, but I can’t unsee it. I guess I need to decide what “accuracy” means to me in this context.

Appreciate the input!

After another week of homework and reading I’m very drawn to the French 1728 musket. I really love the lines of it, as well as the fact that it can represent both the F&I and Rev periods.

Question: did the commercial manufacturers ever make reproduction 1728s? As far as I’ve been able to find, the only 2 ways to acquire a 1728 clone today are through the importers of Indian guns (Veteran Arms etc) or trying to build a kit from TRS. Are there any other options for this particular model?

Last edited:
Thanks Youngblood. Still looking, but seems like there just aren’t many options for a French 1728 outside of a TRS parts kit and finding a builder. I’ll keep looking…

Latest posts

Back