• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Great Rev War Flint Musket test of 2012

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He (Tom) sold me my first muzzleloader (a T/C Seneca) when he worked at a place called "Hunter's Haven" in Vestal, NY back in 1976. A gun shop only dreamed about now - old lever actions, falling blocks, muzzleloaders. * sigh *

That reminds me - I have to send him my NYSMLA dues!

I had a .66 Light Infantry Fusil made by Kit Ravenshear and like a bloomin fool I sold it. That was a good shooting smoothbore and did a great job on whitetail out to 50 yards with a tight patched ball.

Hmmmm...I'm going to start another thread asking you how to optimize smoothbore accuracy. I'm guessing I have some serious shooters on this board. I should learn from the best.

Stumpkiller, Tom was a hoot at the international shoots. He made these flexible white nylon range rods. On the line he would whip the limber rod back and forth making a mini commotion while loading. It freaked out the shooters from other countries. I still use one of Tom,s infamous rods.
You can load a long flint musket under a short roof!
I have a 66 caliber Dragoon Carbine from North Star West, It is perhaps the best shooting smoothbore I have ever owned. It will never be on the block...I hope!

Unless you conduct the test with period military style ammunition, you will actually only be comparing the muskets in a modern context. If you want to compare them as they may have been employed two hundred years ago, use period powder charges and unpatched round balls about 4 - 5 calibers smaller than bore diameter.

A great test would be for 100 men to line up in rank, facing 100 silhouettes in rank, and fire a volley, each at his intended target, to see what might have been expected for casualty rates.

" But at fairly short range, 100 yards or less, the smoothbore was quite good, though, with between 40-75% of shots hitting a simulated line of cavalry in various peacetime experiments. At 200 yards, 18-30% of shots hit the target. (Hughes 27-28)"

Tetsa Prowler said:
One test that would have some educational merit would be to use these 3 young men as raw recruits and see how the various arms influence the learning curve. i.e reload time. very short range accuracy. and confidence. Due to factors noted above accuracy of the arms will not be one of the things you can gain much insight on.

..while using period drills : 1764, Von Steuben, French, Prussian (Hessian).

Back