• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new to forum and muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnjarhead

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Bear with me as this post may be a little long and have many topics within this main topic. I've had the urge for a while to build a "Revolutionary War" longrifle. I'm am a complete novice and have never even shot a muzzleloader. So, I'm been going back and forth over the last few months. Should I buy a "bargain kit" or go all in on a true period reproduction. I'm fortunate that I live 10 miles from the Track of the Wolf and have visited their store, but I'm nervous about spending $700-1,000 on one of their kits versus getting my feet wet on a $300 bargain kit. So, I guess I'm asking opinions only. If you had to start from scratch in my position, which way would you go? Get a cheap kit to learn and gain experience and then buy a true longrifle or go all in on a high end kit right way. I like to think I have the skills to build either.

Thanks for all the help and kind replies.

A novice in Minnesota.

There have been a lot of $800 parts sets turned into $400 dollar rifles by people who didn't know what they were doing.

Far better off to learn to shoot a flintlock, gain some experience as to how they're put together and operate and doing research on exactly what you mean by a "Revolutionary War" long rifle before jumping in with both feet and trying a high end kit right off the bat.

If you do a really good job on a low end kit, you can always sell it for more than you have in it and put the money towards a better set of parts. If you don't do a good job on the low end kit, well then, that's better than finding out on a more expensive set.

You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. I'd go with a good cheaper kit first. You could wind up over your head with a expensive one and end up with a expensive, cheap gun.

Excellent advice, I also recommend this path.

Even though I have worked on original's and restored them to shooting condition over the past 60 years or so, I haven't the talent to make one from scratch. I learned that by assembling several low end kits and although they came out OK they were nothing to write home about. I still love to shoot and work on the "old" ones.

BTW welcome to the addiction and forum.

Mooman76 said:
You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. I'd go with a good cheaper kit first. You could wind up over your head with a expensive one and end up with a expensive, cheap gun.

This is good advise. Welcome to the forum.

I ALWAYS want to buy quality before buying cheap. Now inexpensive is another story and I always appreciate a great deal on a used quality gun. That is the route I would go to get your feet wet and learn black powder shooting without breaking the bank. It wouldn't be building your first gun but it would give you the chance to learn with a quality weapon and you can build your next gun when your ready to. Greg. :)

Hello Minnjarhead and welcome to the forum.

The $300 "kits" are usually already all but built and all you are going to do is some final sanding and finishing. Most of the "kits" at ToTW are going to be more complicated builds that require inletting, major shaping, metal working (you're going to get parts right out of a casting process that require sawing, filing, and final finishing), drilling, tapping, etc. So in short, there is a huge difference in skill and amount of effort and time required.

I think the advice to just get a finished gun first to learn how they work and gain experience is good.

Do you personally know anyone that shoots traditional muzzleloaders?

Mike

Have you considered an in-the-white kit? These kits are essentially completed guns that need the final polishing of parts and finish. The hard parts of the metal work is done. Ask at Track of the Wolf about the in-the-white kits. Always get the best lock you can afford.

The greatest flaw of the $300 kit is that the quality of the flint lock itself isn't that good. Locks don't spark, gaps abound around the inlet parts.

Jim Kibler makes a kit that has most of the work done. Everything is CNC machined. Not cheap, but it is the next step beyond just in-the-white. You'd have to brown the metal and finish the wood. PD

Petaconica River Longrifle can provide you with a "kit" that already has the barrel, tang, triggers, and lock inlet, stock shaped...excellent quality stuff! I hade them inlet a swamped Rice barrel into their Virginia pattern stock, so don't be afraid to ask if they can do something other than what is listed on their site.

Thanks for all the opinions, advice, and tips. I think I may go talk to Track of the Wolf again and discuss options there before I decide what I'm going to end up doing. In the meantime, I'll continue to frequent this site, do more reading and research, and learn.

Latest posts

Back