• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which rasps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to start on a Gemmer GPR kit in a couple weeks. I'm not happy the 3 or so rasps I've been using on other guns. I plan on buying a couple more that I can use to work down all the extra wood that the gpr
I've heard has a decent amount. What size and and cut should I look for. I will have to stick with Nicholson since that's all that the local places have.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been using the Shinto saw rasp, available at Amazon. If you order one of these, take care! They do remove a lot of wood quickly. The saving grace is it's a hand tool, so it only works as fast as you do.

The # 49 and #50 are good. Or you could order the Liogier version of handcut ones from France.
The Liogier are tops. Each on is made to order by hand. Yours is similar to others, but not an exact duplicate. In small ways, yours will be one of a kind. Mine are almost too nice to use, like maybe they should be hanging on the wall.

If you're willing to shop on line you'll find many options. There was quite a discussion of rasps in the gunbuilding forum a little while back. Look for Dave Person's content

Unless you are an artisan building rifles professionally you don’t need to pay $150 a piece for hand forged rasps. Like in everything else there are diminishing returns. There’s no question they’re better, but for 1/10th the $$$ you can get a good one that works. I have a bunch of power tools I use occasionally (all different box store brands). If I used them for work everyday I’d have all German (Hilti Festool, Fein, etc.), but I don’t use them everyday for work, so I don’t need to pay for ones that will run 10,000 hours. I just need them to work as advertised once a while.

Unless you are an artisan building rifles professionally you don’t need to pay $150 a piece for hand forged rasps. Like in everything else there are diminishing returns. There’s no question they’re better, but for 1/10th the $$$ you can get a good one that works. I have a bunch of power tools I use occasionally (all different box store brands). If I used them for work everyday I’d have all German (Hilti Festool, Fein, etc.), but I don’t use them everyday for work, so I don’t need to pay for ones that will run 10,000 hours. I just need them to work as advertised once a while.

If you know of a usable gunstocking rasp for 15 bucks please let me know.🙄

Believe me, I have tried the bargain basement/box store stuff. That stuff may chew through a 2x4 while making tweaks on the chicken coop but they are not gunstocking rasps. They do work remarkably well with play-dough.

Can’t afford a good rasp?......
The truth is you can’t afford not to have a good rasp.

I'm going to start on a Gemmer GPR kit in a couple weeks. I'm not happy the 3 or so rasps I've been using on other guns. I plan on buying a couple more that I can use to work down all the extra wood that the gpr
I've heard has a decent amount. What size and and cut should I look for. I will have to stick with Nicholson since that's all that the local places have.
Thanks
They are not as good as they used to be as Mike pointed out.
A Nicholson #50 should do fine for this project.
I love mine and am asking too much of it right now. I’m going to have get a couple good rasps soon.
I also like to use a cheap course rat-tail file for light shaping work.
That # 50 and a rat-tail has worked out for me.

Now....,GPRS....
Do your research. What do you want it to be?
My understanding is this.....
They are really too light in the buttstock and maybe a little fat in the fore stock for some. They do have a “perch-belly “ in the fore stock. I don’t know if this is a bad thing?
Most if not all GPRS will show some perch belly in the butt stock line too. Again, I don’t know if this is a bad thing.
The GPR is a “Light Plains Rifle”.....
I don’t know if incorporating the features of Heavy Hawken Rifle is right for this platform.
It takes a lot of thought. The gun is light where it needs to be heavier and maybe a little fat where it needs to be thinner.
Personally I like my factory built GPR...
It is what it is.
If you want a heavier Hawken, maybe you need to get a Hawken.

Latest posts

Back