• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62flint

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I need a new tent.It needs to be large enough for 2 adults and 1 child. Easy to put up with 1 person.
I am thinking of a bell backed wedge. How hard are the wall tents to put up with 1 person?
Thanks

My family had a 12'x14' wall tent, with plenty of room for my wife, 2 daughters, and all of their foofaraw, together with my small amount of gear. This tent was easiest for 2 persons to erect, but I did put it up by myself at times. A smaller wall tent (say 8'x10') would be as easy for one person to erect as a wedge tent.

Bob

I just got a wall tent from Panther. It is 10x12x8'4", with 4' walls. I'm 63, and at first it was a little intimidating, but now I would rather put it up than my bell wedge. First the walls go up. I have wall poles with a pin on both ends. This replaces the stakes on the wall sides. Then the ridge pole goes under, and the uprights are set in the ridge and grommets. The roof section is now laying over at one wall or the other. A stake is set a few feet forward the base of each upright, then the uprights are pushed and lifted one at a time, until you can lock into the stake like a wheel chock. Now the roof is halfway there. Just repeat with two more stakes, and it's up. Stake down the front and rear, and make your adjustments. The double pined poles save a lot of time, and squating to drive stakes, and so far seem to take high winds as good as if the walls were staked.

Heck just do a full scale Sibley. Stake out the perimeter, then climb inside and start sectioning the center pole up. The you have a nice 16' diameter tent that makes a dang nice lightening rod if you use well pipe.

Bell backed wedges tend to leak in a heavy rain. Just go to a regular wedge and you will be OK.

Many Klatch

Many Klatch said:
Bell backed wedges tend to leak in a heavy rain. Just go to a regular wedge and you will be OK.

Many Klatch

thats the first time I have heard of this. Do you have a theory as to why ? I will be in the tent market this year and a bell back was at the top of my list

Bell back wedge tents tend to leak in the bell?

Boy, that's news to me! I've NEVER heard that before from anybody.

I've use 3 different bell-back wedge tents over the past 20+ years, and that bell hasn't leaked any more or less than any other part of the tent. And, for me, it has been one of the dryer parts of the tent. BTW, I sewed up these three bell-back wedge tents myself. And I made sure to make the seams correctly.

If you have a bell on a wedge tent that leaks, then you have a problem with that specific tent. And it's probably with how the seams were made. But it could also be with any waterproof treatment that was used.

But most probably it is how the seams were made. A properly made seam laps and hooks together so that water cannot run/seep straight through the seam and the stitches to get to the inside. All the regular tent makers that I know or have heard of make and use proper seams.

So there must be something wrong with that specific tent.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. A heavy driving rain will "mist" through any tent - unless it has been rubberized (or is one of those extra heavy-duty military tents.) And if you leave water setting or puddled on any canvas it will eventually start to seep through. Waterproofing and tightness of weave only affect how long it might take to eventually soak through. There is no such thing a truly "waterproof" canvas. It is made from woven threads, so it has little ... gaps ... between the threads.

Many Klatch said:

I have not had any problems with either of mine, aside from a couple of times while putting the tent up in a driving rain and unavoidably bumping up against the inside. It did leak where I contacted the canvas for awhile, but tightened up soon after and stopped leaking.

Leak in the rain?

Only if you go run yer fingers down the inside of the wet tent.

My bell backed wedge never leaked, and we did experience some rain. Water will run in under the tent if you dont ditch it, but I never had the bell leak....

A tent for three people? I would recommend a wall tent about 12' x 12' for summer camping and if you are thinking of witer camping go with 12' x 15'. remember a stove takes up the amount of room as a person does. check with Four Seasons Tentmasters (517) 436-6246

Latest posts

Back