• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Mexico Elk minimum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Guys;

I was reading the NM regs on line - because it is likely I will be going there in the fall and was kinda surprised to see that a 45 cal is minimum for elk hunting - Is this a typo or is this correct?

I think it's always been .45 for everything since the 1970's. Started when roundballs were still the main projectile, and elk hunting wasn't as popular as it is now, so it was thought that the .45 roundball was the bare minmum for deer hunting. About the time elk hunting became more popular, people were talking about getting it changed to a .50 cal minimum. During that same time, all those different conical, sabots, and scoped whatnots came out and a larger minimum caliber became kind of mute.

Plus, the Game and Fish dept has no clue what they're doing, and they don't really care as long as the money keeps coming in. I'll bet Robert will back me up on this. Bil

The minimum round ball caliber only matters to Bill and me. Everyone else uses cheaters and sabots.

Robert

Perhaps but I shoot PRB's exclusively. :thumbsup:

Now all I got to do is figure out all the draw/application BS and figure out what I need to do with that manure. :idunno:

Yes, the application process is a bit complicated. It's all online this year. With your 1000+ posts on the forum I'm sure you can get it done. If you have trouble, contact me and I will be happy to help you with it.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Kentuckywindage said:
I'd use a conical or sabot. The elk deserves much better.

You ain't me and I have been shooting muzzleloaders longer than you have been alive.:idunno:

The last elk I killed was dead - dead- dead from a hit from a PRB. Not sure how much deader it could have gotten - and NONE of my guns have twist for a conical or one of them sabot's

KHickam said:
Kentuckywindage said:
I'd use a conical or sabot. The elk deserves much better.

You ain't me and I have been shooting muzzleloaders longer than you have been alive.:idunno:

The last elk I killed was dead - dead- dead from a hit from a PRB. Not sure how much deader it could have gotten - and NONE of my guns have twist for a conical or one of them sabot's

:slap: :rotf:

Amen

Personaly I would not go below a .50 PRB I know that size works if a hunter does his part, realistic range choice is the key to ball size selection.

TG - Me neither - since both my guns are 50 caliber or over I have no problems with the local game department and I have in fact killed a nice spike roosevelt elk with a 50 cal PRB.

That being said, I did order a Lancaster Pattern Trade Rifle in 54 cal to hunt with in NM

Latest posts

Back