• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

neighbor stopped by for coffee this AM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bear was not going to take no for an answer. It wanted to get to that bird feeder real bad. Very impressive problem solving skills on display.

We are too close to the big cities. But we still get to see some turkeys, deer, possums, raccoons, pigs, coyotes, and bobcats.

My wife and I go to the Smokies every year, this year in May we saw more bears than all the prior years combined. Hopefully when we go back in September to hike to Mt. LeConte Lodge we won't have as many run in's.

We were eating pizza on the second floor deck of our cabin and this little guy was going to come join us. My hiking boots were sitting in the sun on the deck drying and I used one to beat his toes when he reached up over the deck. My little Smith would've been the next move.

Sorry the video is too large to load, so I posted a link.

turns out he didn't want coffee just some salad.
Had a neighbor drop in like that about 3 weeks ago. He sure didn't want coffee, but before he left killed 5 of my laying hens and the rooster. 2 days ago he hit the neighbor down the road about a 1/4 mile. Broke off both of the door handles and mirror on his truck. It's a waiting game now.

they do love bird seed!
I had no idea bears were that agile! I couldn't do that!
Bear at Bird Feeder.png

And BooBoo looking for new boots for Yogi - that was so much fun to watch.
It's hard to believe that these funny guys could chase you down and eat you!
Thanks for such neat photos!

Caught this about 6 weeks ago, right after I installed a new camera. I too live just outside Oneonta. Neighbors have lost beehives and bird feeders over the years never dreamed they would come this close to my house. He may have been looking in the kitchen window lol

Well can't seem to get the video to upload but it is a black bear who walked by the side of my house, right along the side of my wife's car and then crossed the road to pick my neighbors garbage

Last edited:
I had no idea bears were that agile! I couldn't do that!
View attachment 148930
And BooBoo looking for new boots for Yogi - that was so much fun to watch.
It's hard to believe that these funny guys could chase you down and eat you!
Thanks for such neat photos!

In the video I posted, if you'll notice there is a 2x turned up on its edge and the lattice is attached to it. There is probably 5" of lattice sticking above the 2X. What I didn't video was when the bear approached, he climbed up the lattice and walked along the edge of the 2X and lattice. When he coulsn't get to the porch he walked back about half way, then jumped onto the hot tub cover and tried a second approach. That's when I clubbed his toes.

My wife and I go to the Smokies every year, this year in May we saw more bears than all the prior years combined. Hopefully when we go back in September to hike to Mt. LeConte Lodge we won't have as many run in's.

We were eating pizza on the second floor deck of our cabin and this little guy was going to come join us. My hiking boots were sitting in the sun on the deck drying and I used one to beat his toes when he reached up over the deck. My little Smith would've been the next move.

Sorry the video is too large to load, so I posted a link.

now don't you feel bad scaring that little guy so bad! looked terrified didn't he?!

Quarryville PA is not a big town. But it is a town. Even has two traffic lights. A friend was working at his desk on the second floor of his building in Quarryville. He looked out the window and there was a young bear in a tree looking in. Later that month a wild turkey was fighting with its reflection in the window of the local magistrate's office.

It was a reply to the bear thread not a gun thread 😊

The unmentionable in the background has become a hanger queen, this fall it’s the .50 or the 20ga SxS for everything..
I just want the dog in the pic. Looks just like mine that died in my arm from heart failure 2 months ago. A good hound he was.

I have a large penned in area to keep the chickens, quail, pheasants in a safe environment from predators. Look out the window one day, and walking along the top of the chicken pen is a small bear. Ran him off real fast.

Then about a year ago, I had this little female yearling running around here. She was really dumb about hunting. She would lay next to the chicken pen and play and feed on the pine cones and pine nuts. Never even bothered the poultry or other fowl.
Hadn't seen her in awhile, found out the neighbor shot her, ****** me off to know end. She wsn't a destructive bear and could have been relocated.

We've had bears in the trees. Bears wrestling the feed barrels. Only had to shoot one that was destructive and possibly the one that killed my chickens, if it comes around again.

The only thing the black bears bother with in my yard is the garbage cans. I pour a healthy amount of ammonia & bleach in my garbage bags before I put them in the can, and they still go after my garbage! I have a boat horn on an air can which scares hell out of them, but they still come back.

I suppose if this little red head continues to come around showing such disregard I will have to have a "come to Jesus" talk with it.
love seeing them but with its current attitude the wife's garden won't have a chance. and if it doesn't fear or respect me it had better fear her!
neighbor down the mountain has Black Mouth Curs and I will tree this one and give it a talking to.
it's demeanor is that of a "Dump bear". fin and feathers capture problem bears in town, drive them out here 30 miles from home turf and dump them off for me to deal with. this one to survive needs to get some education.
kinda hate to but it needs to stay away from people.

My Dad used to tell me about an old farmhouse that his Dad and Mom owned in the Poconos that was 100 years old in the '30s, that had a stream running underneath it, probably a spring, that they would ice their beer in. He never mentioned bears, but that means nothing.
They sold it to buy and rename the Roxy Hotel in Tamaqua. They were living there when I was born. They sold it, and a Madame put it to good use. 🥰
Now, it's a vet clinic (St. Francis? South Tamaqua.) 🐶🐱
Years ago (~'98), on a trip back there, we saw a dead baby bear alongside the road near Summit Hill. We slowed to look, but I didn't let the kids get out (wise move?). 🐻

My Mom grew up in Summit Hill, and played everywhere, and never mentioned bears. She was born in '29, and Dad in '26. When I spent summers in SH in the '60s, my cousins never mentioned bears, or we would have looked for them. Had the bears been hunted out then ('30s and '40s), and have since made a comeback due to hunting law changes?

Latest posts

Back