• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As usual people giving solutions when they haven't asked any questions to find out where the ball is. Nice to see someone who is actually trying to get the info needed to actually be able to offer the correct solution for the problem.
The ball was stuck. I tried a ball puller, no luck. I will let my trusted gunsmith fix it. And YES he knows there's a charge behind it.
I have since bought a patch puller and 2 ball pullers.
You can be assured, that will Never happen again.
My biggest concern I'd damage to the barrel from the 4 shots I took before it got stuck. And the rust.
She's my favorite gun.

The other day I get a ball stuck in the barrel of my colonial long rifle.
I tried to get the ball out with a puller, to no avail. Had to take it to my gun smith and leave it there for him to get it out..
Problem is there's a load of powder behind the ball..
I know what happened, a patch got stuck in the barrel, and I thought I blew it out. But I guess not, it was plugging the flash hole I think.

You guys have ideas?

Thanks
Mark

Pull the nipple put in about 10 grains of powder, It will ignite the main charge and shoot out the ball...

I agree with @Notchy Bob. It sounds as if this is more of a failure to fire than a stuck ball. Well, there's several 20 page threads with some helpful and lots of not so helpful information.

The CO2 dischargers should work. But the ball puller should have worked also. The gunsmith should have been able to get it out in less than 5 minutes. Maybe a little longer if he took a break.
I know those CO2 dischargers don't always work. I once tried that several times to no avail. I took the gun (pistol) to a gunsmith and was told that the CO2 dischargers are not always successful. I could not get that ball out, so I let the gunsmith do it.

The ball was stuck. I tried a ball puller, no luck. I will let my trusted gunsmith fix it. And YES he knows there's a charge behind it.
My biggest concern I'd damage to the barrel from the 4 shots I took before it got stuck. And the rust.
She's my favorite gun.
You can still clean and lightly oil the bore down to the ball if your concerned about rusting.

Also, stuck balls, cleaning methods, new shooter questions, etc. are not to be discussed here , what do think this is a muzzleloading forum ;););)

*Disclaimer
1xzxxd.jpg

I've stuck too many round balls. When one is REALLY stuck, I have at least twice soaked the barrel with lots of WD40 and let it stand a while. Then use the screening puller. Another thing is to screw the puller into the ball and wedge the handle of the rod into something to where I can pull on the rifle and not pull on the rod, thereby being able to give you more pulling power. Trying to hold both the rod and the rifle does not allow you to pull very hard but being able to grasp the stock with both hands allows way more pulling power. I was the OP 50+ years ago when I took a Jack Garner .36 to a gunsmith to get the ball out.

I've stuck too many round balls. When one is REALLY stuck, I have at least twice soaked the barrel with lots of WD40 and let it stand a while. Then use the screening puller. Another thing is to screw the puller into the ball and wedge the handle of the rod into something to where I can pull on the rifle and not pull on the rod, thereby being able to give you more pulling power. Trying to hold both the rod and the rifle does not allow you to pull very hard but being able to grasp the stock with both hands allows way more pulling power. I was the OP 50+ years ago when I took a Jack Garner .36 to a gunsmith to get the ball out.
Not screening. Stupid auto correct!

She's my favorite gun.

I don't think 4 shots will ruin your rifle by rusting if the ball is removed soon and a thorough cleaning is done as soon as you get it back.

I was at a shooting range once and the fellow in the next shooting cubicle got his ball stuck bad. There was a hole in the plywood wall between my shooting cubicle and his that we could get the pulling rod through. We ran the pulling rod with the ball puller on the end deep into his lead ball. He put the muzzle against the wall on his side and I grabbed onto the rod on my side and put my foot on the wall and started pulling. That gave be better leverage helping to bring the ball out of his barrel.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I swab the bore after every shot. Once I started doing that my stuck ball problems went away. With the exception of my new englander, every muzzleloader I own has a fairly easy to remove breech plug. Just in case the problem happens again. Tip - DON’T loan your gun to people who don’t know anything about loading a muzzleloader properly……..

Dry balled once. Couldn’t pull it out. It was seated all the way down with no powder charge. Go my air compressor, removed the nipple and that ball flew out of there like it was shot!

Back