• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jager breech plug removal and picture of what I found!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up another jager 44 caliber flintlock Kentucky rifle for a song and a dance. I can’t sing or dance so it was real cheap. Anyway, it is loaded and the flash hold is so plugged I can’t get any powder in the barrel to shoot the ball out. Ball puller won’t move it. Plan B is to remove the breech plug and get everything cleaned up. My question is…has anyone removed a jager flintlock breech plug. I assume it is threaded in but I want to make sure before I try to unscrew it. Looking for direction. Thanks, Steve

Ok, I figured the breech pluck was just screwed in. I put a witness mark on the barrel and breech plug and it easily unscrewed. Yep, there was a load in the barrel and at the bottom of the load and covering the flash hole was a cleaning patch. No wonder
It wouldn’t fire. It’s all back together how and no worse for the wear. Bore really looked nice. Here is a picture of what was in the bottom of the bore.
Ball, patch, powder and cleaning
Patch.

Attachments

• 812728EE-B20D-4AB0-83BA-EB143FDEB1B6.jpeg
    812728EE-B20D-4AB0-83BA-EB143FDEB1B6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sometimes when swabbing the bore it creates a vacuum that will suck the cleaning patch back into the barrel…
If you don’t notice it missing, then what you just experienced can happen..

I’ve fished them out more than once with a worm attacked to the cleaning rod..

Had the same problem with a jager (1830~Suhl Germany ). Got a great deal on it (lots of lovely engraved German silver) but the dopey guy said it doesn’t fire. Lock was plenty strong but I didn’t trust firing a gun that old without a good inspection (good thing too). Co2 wouldn’t move it and ball puller couldn’t grab it. Poured dexron2 automatic transmission fluid into the barrel, used a livestock syringe to load up the breech and nipple. Capped it with rubber and let it sit for a week. Used a compressor at 110psi and spit the ball and charge right out. The ball had been cored out with a puller and the charge looked like 80-90 gr. Red dot shotgun powder. Good thing it hadn’t fired when the last owner tried it . Of course a head wound isn’t so bad when you’re missing a brain. Bore was superb, if dark. .60 cal with deep rifling. Beautifully accurate and dropped a deer at about 125m right at the base of his skull (eyes were better then). Shooting it at the range a guy had to have it and threw a pile of guns my way (probably could have gotten his soul to boot). He shoots a buck a year with it. Nice to know a hunting rifle was still hunting almost 200 years.

I picked up another jager 44 caliber flintlock Kentucky rifle for a song and a dance. I can’t sing or dance so it was real cheap. Anyway, it is loaded and the flash hold is so plugged I can’t get any powder in the barrel to shoot the ball out. Ball puller won’t move it. Plan B is to remove the breech plug and get everything cleaned up. My question is…has anyone removed a jager flintlock breech plug. I assume it is threaded in but I want to make sure before I try to unscrew it. Looking for direction. Thanks, Steve
A one piece range rod with a screw in ball puller would have pulled the ball for you. I use one regularly for my many dry ball pulls made necessary when talking while shooting!
A screw in ball puller should have a course, heavy thread or will often pull out, hole the ball and now your screwed to even blast it out with air or the charge.
:)

Last edited:
Back