• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day I get a ball stuck in the barrel of my colonial long rifle.
I tried to get the ball out with a puller, to no avail. Had to take it to my gun smith and leave it there for him to get it out..
Problem is there's a load of powder behind the ball..
I know what happened, a patch got stuck in the barrel, and I thought I blew it out. But I guess not, it was plugging the flash hole I think.

You guys have ideas?

Thanks
Mark

I hope you told the gunsmith that you have a live round in there... as in there is powder behind that ball.

I'm assuming the gunsmith sent you away with the gun because it had a charge behind the ball, thus your question????
There are countless topic threads that go on for many, many, pages on this subject.

Caplock or flintlock?
If flintlock, is the flash-hole drilled direct or does it have a removable liner?

I agree with @Notchy Bob. It sounds as if this is more of a failure to fire than a stuck ball. Well, there's several 20 page threads with some helpful and lots of not so helpful information.

The CO2 dischargers should work. But the ball puller should have worked also. The gunsmith should have been able to get it out in less than 5 minutes. Maybe a little longer if he took a break.

The ball needs to be seated on the powder before attempting to shoot it out.

For me, there’s a difference between a stuck ball and a failure to fire. The OP didn’t specify where the ball was stuck.

Notchy Bob
Good point. Didn't mention if the load was seated all the way down. Did he have a mark on his ramrod?

The ball needs to be seated on the powder before attempting to shoot it out.

For me, there’s a difference between a stuck ball and a failure to fire. The OP didn’t specify where the ball was stuck.

Notchy Bob
As usual people giving solutions when they haven't asked any questions to find out where the ball is. Nice to see someone who is actually trying to get the info needed to actually be able to offer the correct solution for the problem.

Latest posts

Back