Need help in identifying a muzzleloader pls help!

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification' started by Christine Stahl, Oct 30, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 1, 2019 #21

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

I agree that the D. S. are initials. That was a common practice and often seen.

2. Nov 1, 2019 #22

bud in pa

bud in pa

bud in pa

40 Cal.

CS could they have lived in Bloomsbury NJ? I could not find a Bloomsbury PA.

3. Nov 3, 2019 #23

Christine Stahl

Christine Stahl

Christine Stahl

32 Cal

I’m sorry it’s bloomsburg, with a g

4. Nov 3, 2019 #24

Christine Stahl

Christine Stahl

Christine Stahl

32 Cal

I will be posting full length photos in a few!
    So “DS” or “D 5” could of been the owner....

5. Nov 3, 2019 #25

Palatine

Palatine

Palatine

32 Cal.

Agree that the lockplate (at least) started out as flint.
    Additionally, that the rifle started out with a single trigger, but that a set trigger was retrofitted at some point. Look at the trigger guard and you'll see that the rear of the bow has been removed to make room for the rear trigger.

6. Nov 3, 2019 #26

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

I think the mainspring was replaced and the locating tip was moved. The lock was always mated to a percussion drum. There is one lock nail to the lock. I would think that two lock nails (bolts) would have been used for a flintlock. There is also no threaded hole for the fastening of the frizzen spring.

That is a good observation about the removal of the back part of the bow in the trigger guard to accommodate the double set trigger.

D. S. Could the owner who scratched the initials have been a Stahl?

Treestalker likes this.
  7. Nov 4, 2019 #27

Christine Stahl

Christine Stahl

Christine Stahl

32 Cal

Yeah I attempted to join Americanlongrifles.org and some of their questions to join include what material is melted down to make flintlock balls .... or what color is the powder...
    so that went well.

Woodnbow likes this.
  8. Nov 5, 2019 #28

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

36 Cl.

"Pure Lead"?
    "Dark Flat Gray"?

Why they ask stupid questions like that?

9. Nov 5, 2019 #29

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Many web forums have ways to block places that want to join so they can post their SPAM. These places have computers that are programmed to automatically fill out the standard questions like a name, e-mail address, etc but because it is hard to program a computer to read a question and then answer it right. Other forum sites use those almost impossible to clearly see pictures of numbers and letters that you have to copy into the answer box to prove your a human.

Asking what color the powder is or what the balls for a flintlock are made from sounds like a pretty good idea to me. If someone said flintlock balls were made out of flint I'd kinda wonder if I wanted him to be telling our members how to shoot. :eek:

Brokennock likes this.
  10. Nov 5, 2019 #30

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

40 Cal.

You may want contact @rich pierce on this forum for some assistance on joining ALR. He is a moderator on that forum.

Many members of this forum are also members of the ALR forum, but there is a different group on ALR and someone there may have a different or more insightful opinion to offer you on your father’s gun. More eyes can’t hurt.

11. Nov 6, 2019 #31

rich pierce

rich pierce

rich pierce

70 Cal.

I’m here and there most every day.

12. Nov 12, 2019 at 10:26 PM #32

Christine Stahl

Christine Stahl

Christine Stahl

32 Cal

1F3113B6-E516-4768-B605-348A6C814940.jpeg 1F0ED7A1-8691-479F-9400-104D4CED5C97.jpeg Hello all! I’m adding some new photos with flash and a full body and down the barrel photos.
    I’ve kind of given up because I can’t join that other site and no one at the NM LA will return my email or call. I actually emailed them over two months ago and sent the photos and someone responded but I emailed back after not hearing and they said “no one had viewed them yet”.

Let me know what you all think! I’d love to pinpoint just a name so if I did post it on Craigslist people would have more of an idea... I can post it on here, as well?
    Sorry, I’m just remembering seeing a post for selling/trading on this forum...

Attached Files:

13. Nov 13, 2019 at 12:06 AM #33

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I don't think Cragslist will allow you to post it there. They have a No Guns policy.

I see you have been a a member for 14 days as of today and you have over 5 posts so you can place an ad in our Classified section if you really want to sell it.

The rifle appears to have a Curly Maple stock which is more valuable than a plain wooden stock.
    It was most likely made around 1840 to 1860.
    The bore size looks like it is about .45 caliber but really before saying that in an ad you should try to measure its size. The right way to do it is to use a precision measuring device like a dial or digital caliper but you can come close using any accurate ruler. If the bore size is about 3/8 of an inch it would be about a .38 caliber. 7/16" would be about a .44 caliber and 1/2" would be a .50. If you use a ruler say something like, "it is about a .xx caliber but I can't accuretly measure the bore."

I'm just guessing but if your lucky, you might be able to get $400 - $500 for it. (If you knew it would shoot it would be worth a little more.)

The D5 or DS on the stock was carved by someone who owned the gun some time in its life. It was not done by the person who first built it. I think someone did this to show ownership or maybe because they just got a new pocket knife and wanted to try it out on something.
    You'll see similar carvings on the butt of the 1842 Springfield musket I used to own.
    1842butt.jpg