• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Neatsfoot oil as pacth lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brno

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if this would work well as a patch lube for my Flint? I have gallons of it around for leather and thought it may be worth a try.

Y2K said:
I was wondering if this would work well as a patch lube for my Flint? I have gallons of it around for leather and thought it may be worth a try.
This question has come up a few times the past...don't know if it's ever been answered...would be an interesting experiment to run at the range...is it something that's convenient for you to try and give some feedback?

It works very well as a patch lube. Like all lubes, some guns like it -some dont. Use it sparingly.

A friend used it as his only lube. He did advise to use only "real/natural" neats foot oil.

He said that using "petroleum based" neats foot oil would ruin the barrel. I did not ask him why, just accepted what my mentor's teachings.

He would cut his patches and place them in a baggy and place some neats foot oil in the bag and move the patches around. In a day or so he would check the patches, if they were too dry, he would add a touch more oil. As mentioned, use it sparingly.

I used it for a long time until I started using teflon patches.

RDE

Richard Eames said:
I used it for a long time until I started using teflon patches.

I read somewhere that a buildup of teflon in bores is a no-no.

How long (# of shots) has this teflon-patching been going on? How do you control the buildup?

I have been using teflon patches about 15 years or so. Most of the competitive shooters that I know all use teflon patches. I have not seen any build up in the barrels from the teflon.

I clean the guns at the range (between each shot) with a mixture (equal volumes) Murpyh's Soap, alcohol and hydroge peroxide. When I get home I clean them with hot water and dish soap. After they are cleaned I flush the barrels with alcohol to get rid of any remaining moisture.

I never use a brush on the barrels as I have a fear of getting it stuck. Some do though with no problems.

I know that some have a reluctance to use hydrogen peroxide and some have claimed pitting from usng it. I have not experienced any problems. My mentor would pour hydrogen peoxide down a used barrel he would pick up and cook all the build up out of the barrel. What liquid came out of nasty looking, but the barrel was clean.

RDE

Latest posts

Back