• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Narragansett Arms Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eli crowe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking through some old Muzzleloader Magazines the other day and saw an old ad from Narragansett Arms for thier " Lancaster American" Fowler. Those are nice looking Fowlers.

I know Narragansett went out of business some Years ago under some bad (For Buyers) circumstances but they did make some nice looking Guns.

Just wondering if anyone on here has one of the Lancaster Fowlers and how you like them. If anyone has one they could post pictures of that would be great.

Eli

Before Terry McClain took over Narragansette Arms, Phil Edwards owned the business. He contacted me with an offer to build the Lancaster fowlers. I built the prototype shown in the ad and then many afterwards.

I don't know what Terry is doing now. I know he had some problems.
Jackie

Yeah Jackie, I thought the Lancaster Fowler that you had on your Website looked pretty close to the Narragansett.

I was torn between that Lancaster Fowler of yours and the Early VA Smoothrifle that you built for me earlier this Year.

I went with the Early VA and I am well satisfied with it but I do like that Lancaster.

So many Guns, So little Money.

If any of you Guys out there have one of Jackie's Lancaster Fowlers, I would love to see pictures of them too.

Eli

:(

I had some pretty horrific Narragansets come through my shop years ago. Barrels bedded with body putty, ram rod holes filled with body putty and the ram rod 6" too sort, horrific inletting.....you name it it was screwed up. I was glad they went under so i didn't have to fix that manure any more.

"I was glad they went under so i didn't have to fix that manure any more"

Brooks, sometimes even you can top your own arrogance and that's quite a feat. Are you saying you were obligated to do Narragansette's repair work?

"I had some pretty horrific Narragansets come through my shop years ago. Barrels bedded with body putty'

Yeah Mike, that can be irritating, I had pieces of some kind of putty the size of my thumbnail and 1/8" thick fall out of the breech area on a gun from Missisippi when I took it apart, I just figured that fixing it with some good filler was my part of finishing an "in the white" gun, that was not as bad fixing the stock pin holes that looked to be drilled from both sides but not lined up and fitted with short pins from one side that could not be driven out without enlarging the offside hole was more of a challenge, but all in all it was a good shooting gun when finished, the non tapered oct section of the oct to round was hard for me to get used to though....Life is like a box of chocolates, and I would certainly rather go with a builder that is arrogant than one that is incompetant, just my personal opinion.

Jackie Brown said:
"I was glad they went under so i didn't have to fix that manure any more"

Brooks, sometimes even you can top your own arrogance and that's quite a feat. Are you saying you were obligated to do Narragansette's repair work?
No, I wasn't "obligated" to do anything. But, when the local guys were getting suckered into buying these POS because they were cheap, they were getting unusable junk and I felt sorry for them. I have since moved out to the boonies so I can't be found to fix other makers crappy guns.
Did you work for Narraganset during their "body putty era"? You must have, I really hit a nerve. :haha:

Phil Had several makers working for him at the time. You can take your pick on who built what. I can't picture you having sympathy for anyone.

You don't need to know what my interest is and I don't need to know anybody elses. I know I don't need to read this, but maybe you two ought to take this out on the street. :v

Mike Brooks said:
CHICKEN MAN PILE! :rotf:

Just look at the mans avatar, he's all kinds of COCKY

Now, back away slowly, no sudden moves. You may live to scrap another day.

:rotf:

Va.Manuf.06 said:
Mike Brooks said:
CHICKEN MAN PILE! :rotf:

Whatever kind of pile it is Mike, you will win, no doubt about it.

:hatsoff:
There's a handful of the usuals here that love to shoot arrows at me. Pretty predictable fellows really. :haha:

Abandon this thred before it gets too carried away!!!!!

Sounds like Jackie took some things personal. From what I see nothing was directed specifically on him just a product probably not even his.

odd fellow said:
Abandon this thred before it gets too carried away!!!!!

Sounds like Jackie took some things personal. From what I see nothing was directed specifically on him just a product probably not even his.
No big deal, JB has issues with me and thinks I'm a horse's behind. I'm not offended with his remarks, they are his usual reaction to anything I post.

I think it would really humours if it were not so pathetic that he would critique anyone elses work or work ethic Mike considering the flood of complaints on numerous forums the last decade but I guess he just ignores his own serious problems that have made it out of the shop over the years, I guess maybe if the complaints are ignored they do not really exist, I tried to be nice and keep it confidential but it did not help one bit so I did not feel at all bad about taking it public and adding my bad experience when other complaints came up for the benifit of others who might get toasted, and don't even try to BS your way out of it Brown, it would be best to let it be.I bent over backwards and still got screwed so don't even try to play the injured party with me I am not typing from rumor or speculation and second hand information.

Back