• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Narragansett Arms Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smoothflinter said:
I wonder if there is any historical value to this string of posts. Do you suppose back in the day that gunsmiths fixed and then put the mouth on other's works? I'm thinking that they may have been more pious back then and information was much slower getting around. But I'm definitely not an expert on the subject. Tongues may have wagged back then, but most likely behind closed doors. Just a hypothesis on my part. In my frame of thought the door is wide open here for the public hear.
"Hear ye......hear ye. Gunsmith X has proclaimed that the works of gunsmith Y's rifles are inferior and should be avoided. Gunsmith Y has stated that gunsmith X's rifles are of good quality. Furthermore, gunsmith X has impecable character as was self-proclaimed upon this day."
Hey, will somebody turn off the gas lamp. I'm going to bed.
Who are you and what do you have against me? It's always nice to be able to connect a real name to a post like this. This way I'll know who you are when I see you at a gun show and I can tell you to move along to somebody else's table.
The poster asked about Narraganset guns. I have alot of experience with them due to my business. I truthfully related my experience with Narraganset guns which I think every potential buyer of a Narraganset should know...or should I have lied and said they were the greatest guns I have ever handled? I could have expanded and related experiences that were just as bad about other gun maker's guns that have came through my shop, some of those who already hate me and post here, but I didn't as that information wasn't asked for.....I was specific and only gave the information the poster was seeking.
As far as the historical context, yes there was some friction between gun makers. I'm familiar with the schutzen era and those guys didn't hesitate to point out manure when they saw it. In fact it's only this "Modern age" that controversy over poor built guns has become a forbidden subject.

smoothflinter said:
I wonder if there is any historical value to this string of posts.
Do you suppose back in the day that gunsmiths fixed and then put the mouth on other's works?
Absolutely. Plenty of documentation to that. See Blackmore's books.

I'm thinking that they may have been more pious back then and information was much slower getting around.
Wrong

But I'm definitely not an expert on the subject.
agree

Tongues may have wagged back then, but most likely behind closed doors.

Wrong

Just a hypothesis on my part. In my frame of thought the door is wide open here for the public hear.
"Hear ye......hear ye. Gunsmith X has proclaimed that the works of gunsmith Y's rifles are inferior and should be avoided. Gunsmith Y has stated that gunsmith X's rifles are of good quality. Furthermore, gunsmith X has impecable character as was self-proclaimed upon this day."
Well apparently there exists a huge number of bamboozled sheeple who have chosen to save a couple of bills up front and bought a pig in a poke.
Sheeple jump at the chance to save bucks on a gun purchase. Most continue to have no idea why they paid less. The sellers never mention that to save a production buck they use cheaper barrels, lock kits put together by monkeys, wood screws in tangs and front lock bolts, routed out holes, incorrect furniture, etc. Really nothing wrong with any of that. That is an economy model. I have a problem though when the seller remains silent when the ignorant compare his economy gun to a well built gun whose construction is NOT like his......................
Add shoddy, crappy work on top of these quick production guns and you will have people who know better calling a spade a spade.

I am grateful when those speak truth without holding back. There is a post by one of the MLF members on another website that is preaching some truth about pre-carved stocks.

I know for a fact that Mike is NOT in an elite gunmakers "click" as has been suggested in recent posts. He is out in the bush by himself. He praises quality work of any stranger just as much as he points out junk.

Sorry but when you put yourself in business you subject yourself to the good and bad. There will always be a few disgruntled customers due to differences in people but the one in business is at fault if a crappy product goes out the door.
(ALL of my commentary is NOT about Naragansett arms as I have no experience with them)

Now I feel foolish, perhaps as I should. Putting myself in a role to bring different parties back to what I think is center. Opinions with temperance. Critisism with humility. Then I crossed the line I drew myself. As anything I say has made no difference to yourself or your supporters I need to retract any attack as you see that I made. Do not read any sarcasm into this as I have in previous posts.
I'll not put myself into a moderator's position again (I hope), as there are designated moderators to handle issues as they see fit on this forum in a better manner as I have given.
I doubt that I will come upon your table at a gun show simply because I don't go to a lot, not to be snippy here. But if I should I'm sorry that you will feel the need to shoo me away.

Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant (I'm working on that part)
Bart

smoothflinter said:
I'll not put myself into a moderator's position again (I hope), as there are designated moderators to handle issues as they see fit on this forum in a better manner as I have given.

Sometimes it's better to let a dog and a skunk or porcupine go at it than to jump in and try and to seperate them. :wink:

Stumpkiller said:
Sometimes it's better to let a dog and a skunk or porcupine go at it than to jump in and try and to seperate them. :wink:

Wow, that right there is some wisdom for the ages.

"Sometimes it's better to let a dog and a skunk or porcupine go at it than to jump in and try and to seperate them."

Actually I've seen someone try to do that. And you're right. As I recall the man smelled worse than the dog afterwards. :) That's a great analogy! Mind if I quote you?

Actually, this is the same thing Shortbow was saying in a post above. But you drove it home the rest of the way. I thank you both for a lesson learned, although I was too stubborn to let it go.
All this talk of dogs, chickens and skunks reminds me of a famous quote I heard when I was a kid. I can't remember if it was Foghorn Leghorn or his sidekick dog friend who said it:
"There's a pole cat in the hen house."

I'm ready to let this go if everyone else is. :v

I'd like to be the skunk if nobody else calls it. :haha:

Back to the original question,I had one a number of years ago that I bought in the white from them and was happy with it for a number of years.I also have their 1st model Bess and that gun is beautiful.
I sold the fowler so I could aquire another gun since I was doing most of my smoothbore shooting with the bess (I even won a couple rifle matches with that thing besides trade gun matches)
Mine was built by Jackie and I wish I still had it.My brother has a couple of Jackies guns and they are both beautiful pieces worthy of hierlooms.

Back