• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Napolean movie reviews?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m put in mind of Twelve o’clock high. Very few battle scenes but the enormous stress of command and the men who had to climb aboard
I was hyped to see the movie, but reviews, not just here but across the board make me willing to wait for it to be on tv
Sounds like another great historic movie Hollywood screws up
I believe the TV release is supposed to be on Apple TV and is supposed to be a directors cut totaling with the complete movie being close to four hours.

Anthony

Watch the 4 hour directors cut of David Lynch’s Dune……as tortuous as that is, it beats Napoleon by a long shot…..or, they can remake it with the premise Napoleon meets Alfred Nobel……Napoleon Dynamite!!!!

Austerlitz was interesting for the use of the signal corps and tactics. Waterloo was condensed to 10 minutes, so felt underwhelming. The Rod Steiger version was much better, but that entire movie was devoted to that one battle. Cramming 30 years of his life into 2.5 hours is what made this one kinda flat.

The 2 things that bugged me most were:
1. Wearing his hat indoors, unless it was to show hiim as ill mannered.
2. The British sniper with a scoped Baker rifle!

But Vanessa Kirby looked great in the dresses! It'll get an Oscar nomination for costuming.

img_1_1701284445506.jpg

I went to see it, IMO a bit to much Josephine, but the special effect of the battles made it worth watching
Yes I agree, too much Josephine personal stuff but actually enjoyed watching the movie. The battle scenes and special effects were outstanding, some critics sited very short battle scenes. I read the reviews after watching the movie and most were pretty negative claiming historical Inaccuracy and bad acting. I admit not knowing a lot about Napoleon so I can’t comment on the correct historical aspect.

I don't need to watch it. He will lose and eventually die. Kinda like watching "Titanic", I know how it ends. To me new movies are just glorified cartoons with all the CG stuff. I prefer old movies with huge casts or impressive gatherings of aircraft or other equipment. Sadly I know those days are over and "cartoons" are the future. YMMV

There was a lot of advanced hype for this movie, so I paid attention to my European reenactor friends on facebook. Man they absolutely destroyed it. They don't have a single kind word to say about it. I'll eventually watch it out of curiosity.

I don't need to watch it. He will lose and eventually die. Kinda like watching "Titanic", I know how it ends. To me new movies are just glorified cartoons with all the CG stuff. I prefer old movies with huge casts or impressive gatherings of aircraft or other equipment. Sadly I know those days are over and "cartoons" are the future. YMMV
Earlier Napoleon movies used actual hundreds of soldiers, from the Russian, German, armies; before CGI.

The same guy who made "Blade Runner", "Alien", "Black Hawk Down", and "Gladiator" made this film?
The uniforms are worth the slog through this strangely gratuitous film. That's the best I can say. There's nothing historically accurate about the battles, or most of the other "action", but the uniforms are amazing.
The black general was Thomas-Alexandre Dumas. He was not as important as the movie makes him out to be and he appears in the movie at events that took place after the historical figure had died.
Too many lost opportunities from a ML enthusiast's point of view to list.
I won't be able to handle four hours of Wackeem throwing tantrums and Josephine moping by rain splattered windows in her mansion.
11354048-2BD8-4840-8233-C84D7F933307.jpeg

Last edited:
Making the shooting of the frozen ice the center point of the Battle of Austerlitz pretty much told me all I would need to know about this movie.

Latest posts

Back