• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Very Good Friend - Charles E. Hanson, Jr.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's been a while, but its still nice to remember someone that got everyone's interest moving in this direction of living history, documented research and providing one of the greatest resources we have today - The Museum of the Fur Trade.

My Very Good Friend

Friend to all that met him and a personal friend for over 25 years, Charles E. Hanson, Jr. has passed away as of Wednesday the 4th of February, 1998. God Bless you my dear friend.

Charles E. Hanson, Jr.
March 02, 1917 - February 4, 1998

A native of Nebraska, an engineer, a spokesman, writer, museum director and one of the best researchers known for his work on the Fur Trade in North America and other parts of the world. He has traveled extensively between continents in his intensive quest for accurate details of this period. His documented work and collections are respected world wide, considered as one of the most knowledgeable people for the era; one of the few true experts on the Northwest gun. He was a good listener and a natural in any setting when talking about American History.

His relationships with countless collectors, historians, librarians and museum personnel in going over records, journals and collected pieces has made it possible for everyone to enjoy this work through his writings and pictures, that otherwise only a few would have had access to.

His exhaustive study of all aspects of this chapter in our history has uncovered information that had been lost for decades, now recorded in his many articles in the Museum of the Fur Trade Quartiles, his publications and books authored by him, now saved and studied by students of the Fur Trade, as well as the general public.

A list of his contributions to the "buckskinner" movement is endless, a life member of the National Muzzle-Loading Rifle Association, a Charter member of the Buckhorn Skinners of Loveland, CO and the American Mountain Men are but just a few of his affiliations.

His wife Marie has devoted hours of her time, being indispensable in assembling the manuscripts, making revisions necessary to insure consistency and accuracy, his sons have given support and valuable assistance in his many projects. A true family endeavor in bringing to life a missing part of a lost chapter in our history, and they still continue on with their research at the Museum with the help of the staff.

A true to life dwelling now restored behind the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska, "Bordeaux's Trading Post" is available to the public for viewing because of his efforts to show what living conditions were like for a European in a new world. To visit this post with him was a treat to walk back into history and vision what adventure lay at your doorstep with the rising of the sun on each day.

Many have found in doing research they will come to a point that they are stalled with not knowing which way to continue. A letter to the Museum or a call would put Charles on the problem and in short order he had his students moving on, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, as he would say. I have found that this help was not only to friends, but to a stranger soon to become a friend of Charles E. Hanson, Jr. and the Museum of the Fur Trade.

I first met Charley in the mid 60's at the "Antique Gun Collectors Show" at Colfax and Broadway in Denver, CO in the old VFW Hall, he was talking to Jack Lewis, a world known antique gun collector and trader from Ohio. I had known Jack from a few years before, as my father was really into pre Civil War items and had dealings with Mr. Lewis several times. They were discussing a gatling gun at the door into the hall, it was serial number NO. 1 , in new condition and just a beauty per Charley. He stroked that gun like it was one of his kids, Jack introduced me to Mr. Hanson and that was the being of a long friendship.

Over the years as time would allow with work and home life, I would call and have Charley make a reservation for a few nights at a friend's motel then slip away to Chadron and walk back into a different time zone. The Fur Trade was alive and well at Charley and Marie's house, sometimes a few friends would tag along or my Dad, sometimes I would make the trip from Denver alone. Either way the closer I got the faster I would drive, wanting as much time as possible to spend freezing my feet in mid winter looking at the many items on display, really didn't matter which case we were viewing, just being there was the best part. Charley would come out of the office and ask us to come in and get warm, no heat in the building other than his office when the museum was closed to the public.

We would sit around him and ask questions and he would disappear for a moment then return with a book for reference and we would discuss the subject for hours. Then as our voices got softer with lack of moisture, Marie would appear from no were, carrying a coffee pot, cups and home made pumpkin bread, or pumpkin cookies, or pumpkin rolls or pumpkin ............. whatever. She would tell us each time that this happened, that living in this country, the only thing she could grow was pumpkins and more pumpkins. "Marie could make anything one can think of with pumpkin" Charley would say as we all agreed, and damn good too. We knew she was having fun with us, we had been there enough to see the period garden and other projects these two had tried in that ground.

Over the years I have called on Charley for information on articles that I would be writing or to get his opinion on how to make something, or the availability of an item for such and such or a place and time. He was always there with an answer and if he did not know, would do a little digging in his wonderful library and send you the information. He provided this type of service for thousands of students of the fur trade over the years, and half the time never even got a "thank you". We used to tell him to charge for his knowledge or his resources, he would just laugh and say something like "I enjoy helping" or "I don't want to turn anyone away". The cost of postage alone would make most people stop the service, but Charley and Marie would just keep going ahead with doing their thing and never complain.

In the 70's when the Wounded Knee problem started to the north of Chadron, word got out after several of the kids from the reservation took items from their museum and sold them for booze on the west coast. They were going to come down to the Museum of the Fur Trade and do the same thing, the town folks got ready to defend the Museum until the National Guard got the OK to get involved. I was up at the Museum the next week, back in the library with Charley. Down one aisle was an old 92 Winchester leaning against the shelves, Charley remarked it was loaded as were several others within the building. He was ready to handle what needed to be done, if needed. I bet those kids would have had more than "wounded knees" if they came into Charlie's place and started trouble, that old boy would have filled their shorts with some hot lead from one of those old 44/40's.

Seems every time we were at Charley and Marie's, they would have a fur trade story or two to tell us, their research never ended and some of the funny stories are priceless that they could tell, here's an example.

A Count or Duke that came over from Europe to hunt in the New World, he had as the first thing on his schedule, hire a guide, experienced in the wilderness and able to handle a party of gentlemen on a hunt, a person was found and a deal was made. In the arrangement the guide was to receive a trade gun for part of his payment, the agreement was completed and the local got his smoothbore.

Before leaving the guide had a sight-in for his employers and a chance to try his new gun. To make the story short, he finds his trade gun does not shoot to point of aim, removes the barrel wraps it in a blanket and puts one end in the crouch of a tree and leans on it a touch. He then assembles his gun, while his employers watch in disbelief, this is repeated several times until it shoots to his satisfaction.

Near the end of the hunting trip the guide has out shot his employers and one gentlemen tries to trade the guide out of the smoothbore.

If you close your eyes and let your mind wonder, you too may see what many can see in this vision, a camp fire with figures sitting around, a closer look at this scene the faces become clearer and right in the middle sits Charley as names of men and their deeds come together.

It's Sublette, Williams, Smith, Bridger, the Bent's, Russell and others of by-gone years relaxed and enjoying each others company, Charley asking questions, taking notes and living on every word of passed adventures. On the edges of the light are a mixture of French, Crow, Blackfeet, Shoshoni, Assiniboin and others of mixed nationalities at peace with themselves and their brothers around them, equipage of the Fur Trade, bales of fur, plews stretched on willow hoops, horses grazing and several dogs lying among these men. In the foreground stands Miller and Catlin watching as Bodmer sketches this setting, a Frenchmen plays softly on a Jaw harp while several Native women tend to camp duties.

This is a life time dream of ours and our friend, may this scene be replayed night after night, and may we join as our time draws near. God Bless you Charles E. Hanson, Jr., and continue on with your research in the most proper manner, now first hand or as your friends around that camp fire would say, "right from the horses mouth", we will miss you.

God Bless you.

Buck, I for one greatly appreciate the time you took to post this remembrance of Charles Hanson. I wish I had had the chance to meet him, but he died just a couple of years before I finally made it to Chadron, and that wonderful Museum of the Fur Trade. It's a magical place, as is that part of Nebraska along the Niobrara Valley. The Sandhills to the east produced another great American, Mari Sandoz. I am proud to be a member of the MOFT, and highly recommend the museum to all with even the faintest interest in the fur trade era, as it is "home."

I did have the pleasure of meeting CH Jr over 20 years ago. We stayed at a motel on the west end of Chadron, went to the Museum in the morning and to Ft Robinson later the same day. The next morning, while my brife and the kids slept in, I went back to the Museum. It was a slow week day morning and, aside from Charles and Marie, I was the only one there . . . I had both of them all to myself!!! A more knowledgeable and personable pair I have never met. I stayed there way too long and was really met with stares of disdain when I returned to the motel. I really didn't care, I had the time of a lifetime. I had always felt I was born 150 years to late and after that time at TMOFT, I was convinced.

Buck, A nice tribute to a great friend of mine also and surely missed by all who knew him or read his books and literature. One of the things I loved when visiting TMOFT is when Charley would take me in the back room and show me some things that he wanted to sell. Just little odds and ends that usually were Native American related. I always stopped where I was in Chadron and my 18 wheeler took most of his parking lot space, but I had to take another look at the museums extensive Trade Gun collection again and again and say hello to Charley and Marie.___ I really enjoyed, when Charley came out with his book, THE HAWKEN RIFLE, It's place in history. Put some real facts for John Baird out in Big Timber, Montana, that all Mountain Men didn't have Hawken rifles, but that's another story!

Yes, Charley is missed!

Rick

Both Charley and Curly were very interesting folks, now I'm close to going to meeting them again at that camp fire in the sky. We will all will have that chance to visit them once again, just a matter of time

Buck

Visited the UP in Michigan 1988 , Fort Michilamachinak , ?.......That visit to the fort , provided more questions than answers , about the guns used there . Got C. Hanson's book at a Spring Shoot at Friendship Ind.. His info made it all make sense. Thanks C. Hanson.......RIP

Last edited:
It's been a while, but its still nice to remember someone that got everyone's interest moving in this direction of living history, documented research and providing one of the greatest resources we have today - The Museum of the Fur Trade.

My Very Good Friend

Friend to all that met him and a personal friend for over 25 years, Charles E. Hanson, Jr. has passed away as of Wednesday the 4th of February, 1998. God Bless you my dear friend.

Charles E. Hanson, Jr.
March 02, 1917 - February 4, 1998

A native of Nebraska, an engineer, a spokesman, writer, museum director and one of the best researchers known for his work on the Fur Trade in North America and other parts of the world. He has traveled extensively between continents in his intensive quest for accurate details of this period. His documented work and collections are respected world wide, considered as one of the most knowledgeable people for the era; one of the few true experts on the Northwest gun. He was a good listener and a natural in any setting when talking about American History.

His relationships with countless collectors, historians, librarians and museum personnel in going over records, journals and collected pieces has made it possible for everyone to enjoy this work through his writings and pictures, that otherwise only a few would have had access to.

His exhaustive study of all aspects of this chapter in our history has uncovered information that had been lost for decades, now recorded in his many articles in the Museum of the Fur Trade Quartiles, his publications and books authored by him, now saved and studied by students of the Fur Trade, as well as the general public.

A list of his contributions to the "buckskinner" movement is endless, a life member of the National Muzzle-Loading Rifle Association, a Charter member of the Buckhorn Skinners of Loveland, CO and the American Mountain Men are but just a few of his affiliations.

His wife Marie has devoted hours of her time, being indispensable in assembling the manuscripts, making revisions necessary to insure consistency and accuracy, his sons have given support and valuable assistance in his many projects. A true family endeavor in bringing to life a missing part of a lost chapter in our history, and they still continue on with their research at the Museum with the help of the staff.

A true to life dwelling now restored behind the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska, "Bordeaux's Trading Post" is available to the public for viewing because of his efforts to show what living conditions were like for a European in a new world. To visit this post with him was a treat to walk back into history and vision what adventure lay at your doorstep with the rising of the sun on each day.

Many have found in doing research they will come to a point that they are stalled with not knowing which way to continue. A letter to the Museum or a call would put Charles on the problem and in short order he had his students moving on, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, as he would say. I have found that this help was not only to friends, but to a stranger soon to become a friend of Charles E. Hanson, Jr. and the Museum of the Fur Trade.

I first met Charley in the mid 60's at the "Antique Gun Collectors Show" at Colfax and Broadway in Denver, CO in the old VFW Hall, he was talking to Jack Lewis, a world known antique gun collector and trader from Ohio. I had known Jack from a few years before, as my father was really into pre Civil War items and had dealings with Mr. Lewis several times. They were discussing a gatling gun at the door into the hall, it was serial number NO. 1 , in new condition and just a beauty per Charley. He stroked that gun like it was one of his kids, Jack introduced me to Mr. Hanson and that was the being of a long friendship.

Over the years as time would allow with work and home life, I would call and have Charley make a reservation for a few nights at a friend's motel then slip away to Chadron and walk back into a different time zone. The Fur Trade was alive and well at Charley and Marie's house, sometimes a few friends would tag along or my Dad, sometimes I would make the trip from Denver alone. Either way the closer I got the faster I would drive, wanting as much time as possible to spend freezing my feet in mid winter looking at the many items on display, really didn't matter which case we were viewing, just being there was the best part. Charley would come out of the office and ask us to come in and get warm, no heat in the building other than his office when the museum was closed to the public.

We would sit around him and ask questions and he would disappear for a moment then return with a book for reference and we would discuss the subject for hours. Then as our voices got softer with lack of moisture, Marie would appear from no were, carrying a coffee pot, cups and home made pumpkin bread, or pumpkin cookies, or pumpkin rolls or pumpkin ............. whatever. She would tell us each time that this happened, that living in this country, the only thing she could grow was pumpkins and more pumpkins. "Marie could make anything one can think of with pumpkin" Charley would say as we all agreed, and damn good too. We knew she was having fun with us, we had been there enough to see the period garden and other projects these two had tried in that ground.

Over the years I have called on Charley for information on articles that I would be writing or to get his opinion on how to make something, or the availability of an item for such and such or a place and time. He was always there with an answer and if he did not know, would do a little digging in his wonderful library and send you the information. He provided this type of service for thousands of students of the fur trade over the years, and half the time never even got a "thank you". We used to tell him to charge for his knowledge or his resources, he would just laugh and say something like "I enjoy helping" or "I don't want to turn anyone away". The cost of postage alone would make most people stop the service, but Charley and Marie would just keep going ahead with doing their thing and never complain.

In the 70's when the Wounded Knee problem started to the north of Chadron, word got out after several of the kids from the reservation took items from their museum and sold them for booze on the west coast. They were going to come down to the Museum of the Fur Trade and do the same thing, the town folks got ready to defend the Museum until the National Guard got the OK to get involved. I was up at the Museum the next week, back in the library with Charley. Down one aisle was an old 92 Winchester leaning against the shelves, Charley remarked it was loaded as were several others within the building. He was ready to handle what needed to be done, if needed. I bet those kids would have had more than "wounded knees" if they came into Charlie's place and started trouble, that old boy would have filled their shorts with some hot lead from one of those old 44/40's.

Seems every time we were at Charley and Marie's, they would have a fur trade story or two to tell us, their research never ended and some of the funny stories are priceless that they could tell, here's an example.

A Count or Duke that came over from Europe to hunt in the New World, he had as the first thing on his schedule, hire a guide, experienced in the wilderness and able to handle a party of gentlemen on a hunt, a person was found and a deal was made. In the arrangement the guide was to receive a trade gun for part of his payment, the agreement was completed and the local got his smoothbore.

Before leaving the guide had a sight-in for his employers and a chance to try his new gun. To make the story short, he finds his trade gun does not shoot to point of aim, removes the barrel wraps it in a blanket and puts one end in the crouch of a tree and leans on it a touch. He then assembles his gun, while his employers watch in disbelief, this is repeated several times until it shoots to his satisfaction.

Near the end of the hunting trip the guide has out shot his employers and one gentlemen tries to trade the guide out of the smoothbore.

If you close your eyes and let your mind wonder, you too may see what many can see in this vision, a camp fire with figures sitting around, a closer look at this scene the faces become clearer and right in the middle sits Charley as names of men and their deeds come together.

It's Sublette, Williams, Smith, Bridger, the Bent's, Russell and others of by-gone years relaxed and enjoying each others company, Charley asking questions, taking notes and living on every word of passed adventures. On the edges of the light are a mixture of French, Crow, Blackfeet, Shoshoni, Assiniboin and others of mixed nationalities at peace with themselves and their brothers around them, equipage of the Fur Trade, bales of fur, plews stretched on willow hoops, horses grazing and several dogs lying among these men. In the foreground stands Miller and Catlin watching as Bodmer sketches this setting, a Frenchmen plays softly on a Jaw harp while several Native women tend to camp duties.

This is a life time dream of ours and our friend, may this scene be replayed night after night, and may we join as our time draws near. God Bless you Charles E. Hanson, Jr., and continue on with your research in the most proper manner, now first hand or as your friends around that camp fire would say, "right from the horses mouth", we will miss you.

God Bless you.
I just stumbled across this, wrote this before becoming a member, WOW.

Back