• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My thoughts on Mink Oil patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Got the 58 Hawken out to 50 yards today and after 5 shots, I like it. The smell isn't all that great, especially on an empty stomach, but the stuff works at protecting the patch. I used the larger .575" ball, .015" patch and lightly lubed with TOTW mink oil. It really doesn't take much at all to lube both sides of the patch, just slide it around in the tin, flip over, do the same and then rub in hard with your thumb to get everything even. Loaded up a new powder charge of 80 grains Shuetzen 2f and away I went. First 2 shots were right on the money, adjust my sight 1 click up so I'll be dead on at 100 yards and only 37" low at 200.

One thing I still have to test is taking it outside loading and go for a hike and then bring it back into a warm house. I must see if any rust forms due to the temp change.

IMG_1814_zps36c4abf4.jpg

IMG_1817_zps479627f9.jpg

IMG_1820_zps69160281.jpg

Check out that beautiful seal on the first shot!

IMG_1821_zps7be10b5a.jpg

IMG_1812_zpsc9520545.jpg

It smells? Really? Have used it for years and never noticed ... haha!

Also note that bringing a cold firearm into warm indoors is just asking for condensation to form, regardless of your choice of lube.

We just got thru PA's late flintlock-only season, just after Xmas. One guy from VT had a charge in the barrel from the VT season weeks ago, where the arm was kept at outdoor ambient temps. He uses TOW's mink oil with zero issues ... plus she immediately fired last week when needed.

It isn't, however, for any longer term storage.

Why is everyone suddenly concerned about the smell of a fired gun?

As a bow hunter I understand completely "the nose knows" ideas but a fired gun is just that.

Is that why TC came out with Pine Scented Borebutter years ago? :haha:

Looks good! at 50..
Will you bump up the powder for final sight in?
Now take it out to your sight in range... :hmm:
Why are you temping fate with cold to warm condensation????
If the is no mositure under the mink oil on the barrel you'll be fine.
All bets are off with the mositure and powder load.
Don't understand the theroy of leaving it loaded??
exsample..hunter tales a week off work.etc.
invests days in the field..hours and hours on your feet .
only to have a miss fire due to a wet-damp load?
What is the point..????...please break this down for me.

Yes my normal load is 110 grains Goex 2f or 110gr Olde Eynsford 1 1/2fg. OE produces 1,626 FPS with that load.

When hunting, I never fire my rifle until it needs to be fired. I take extra steps such as covering the muzzle and then using white teflon tape to seal the nipple the threads with. I found this to be a huge weak spot on a sidelock thats wet with moisture. An ear plug goes between the hammer and nipple when its not capped.
IMG_0085.jpg

My flintlock does the same thing, only I use a tooth pick to plug the vent. No troubles to date. Although I did have a modern day conical once fall out of my barrel when I hopped across a stream :rotf: Not funny when I fired at a doe 20 minutes later :nono:

It really doesn't take much at all to lube both sides of the patch,

It would take only one half as much to lube only one side. The side that contacts the bore is all that needs lubing. Rest is waste. Same with soaking with lube.
Actually, I wish I owned Bore Butter. I would tell you to soak them with the stuff. :shocked2: :wink:

Ok Let me ask this again...
why not start with a fresh load each day????
There are pages and pages of misfire stories from loads left in barrels overnight.
Why tempt fate????

because thats simply crazy. We rarely have any rain or snow during our muzzleloader season. Why fire,clean my gun every day at camp?

Kentuckywindage said:
because thats simply crazy. We rarely have any rain or snow during our muzzleloader season. Why fire,clean my gun every day at camp?

I agree. I load a clean barrel and it remains loaded until its fired. I DO bring my flinter inside, but I plug the vent with a round toothpick, and then stand the rifle muzzle down.

Mink oil in the bore, on a clean bore, should help protect from moisture.

IF I got caught in the rain, and the rifle was noticeably wet, I would shoot and clean it at the end of the day.

Back ON topic, I don't notice the smell of mink oil from the can or after shooting. It most definitely protects a patch as well as, or better than anything else that I've used. I will not say that it will produce the tightest groups, but it doesn't contaminate my powder (without an over powder wad)when hunting.

makeumsmoke said:
Ok Let me ask this again...
why not start with a fresh load each day????
There are pages and pages of misfire stories from loads left in barrels overnight.
Why tempt fate????

Yep, there are plenty of fellows that have proved they don't know how to properly load and store a muzzleloader... :)

If loaded in a clean, dry bore and stored properly then a muzzleloader will go off with no delay...If loaded in a bore that has moisture in it or is allowed to sweat or let moisture enter the charge it won't...

I've been a flintlock shooter since 1975, I don't have any problems leaving a charge in a barrel for a couple of weeks and it igniting quickly...

You just have to know your stuff... :thumbsup:

Kentuckywindage said:

answer... reliability

I normally use a spit patch for target shooting with my 20 ga. trade gun. But for hunting situation, I use bore butter as I do not want the patch to dry out. I tried mink oil, and liked that it did not freeze up like bore butter at really cold temps during the winter, however, I did find that it drastically changed my POI whereas the bore butter has almost the same POI as my spit patch. Mink oil must be more slipery than bore butter. May need to do some more practice with mink oil, but have never gotten a "round tuit", so I just stick with bore butter for hunting and cold winter target shooting.

makeumsmoke said:
Kentuckywindage said:

answer... reliability

There are two other threads/surveys dedicated to this question.

cleaning my gun every evening exposes it to a lot more moisture than it sees just sitting there :haha:

I believe we've been rain on twice in the past 13 years. And around here, when its raining, you're staying inside because nothing else is moving.

Tried Mink oil lube in a 32 cal.last weekend...1-40 twist bbl.
couldn't keep it on paper at 45 yds.Never know till you try.
looking forward to your hunting load groups..please post.

makeumsmoke said:
Kentuckywindage said:

answer... reliability

I think those who are having problems with misfires would also have them even if the gun was cleaned every day. I have often left my rifle loaded and out in an unheated porch. I put black tape over the muzzle and leather or tape over the nipple. Works for me and my hunting partner.

Nice. Questions: Are those precut patches? Why the difference in patch color?

Lou_D said:
Nice. Questions: Are those precut patches? Why the difference in patch color?

Yes precut patches. The white one is on a clean bore, the rest with the bluish/black color is on a fouled bore.

well I am happy to say that after a few days of coyote calling in the cold and bringing it in afterward, zero signs of rust in the bore. Looks like the mink oil puts a light coating of grease to keep the moisture at bay.

Back