• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Pedersoli Classic Side By Side Patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were talking about using *no* wad. Yes, of course, historical wads were not just like modern ones, but, according to what you posted, it was the norm to use a wad.
I don't see where a recommendation to use no wad was made??
Even two thin over shot cards, my go to method, is a wad, just a very thin wad.
There is no set dimensions to a wads length.

Use the flat outside surfaces of your calipers to measure. But the fastest way on 12 gauge is use a dime, if it will not go in the end of the barrel it's full choke. If it goes in with very little clearance it's modified.
On the fiber wads: turn them sideways to push into the barrel and the ramrod will get them straight. If they are too thick to get in cut them in half. This is what I do on my T n T full n full, 80g 2f, 1 1/4 shot and shoots goood!!! Good luck pard
I do somewhat the same with My T&T but use a nitro card over powder and a thin overshot card. Easy to load when you turn them sideways.

My friend bought one of these shotguns in 1978. He got it from a place called Gasman's Archery in San Antonio, TX for two hundred bucks. We were in the USAF, both as Marksmanship Instructors assigned to the Medina Annex where the firing ranges were located. We didn't have any wads and probably knew even less about such things. We used toilet paper as wadding and sometimes I'd say the toilet tissue arrived to the target prior to the shot load. :) Yup, we set the range on fire a couple times which required quick footed action to stamp out.

He came to visit me last week and sold me the shotgun for a hundred bucks. It's in pretty decent shape and probably not fired more than fifty times. I have not fired it since 78. I've read some on these forums and learned that there is a lighter version out there, but this gun ain't one of them. Weighing in at 7.5 lbs. on my kitchen scales. Still, a very nice gun.

I ordered some wads, a nipple wrench, and a plastic shot measurer. I have it loaded with 1.5 oz. of # 6 shot in the right barrel and ten # 1 buckshot in the left. I figured I'd shoot a tree rat with the small shot and might get lucky enough to run into a deer with the left barrel.
I'm sixty seven now and it's kind of neat that the gun and I ran into each other again so many years later. I got into flintlocks back then in 77, so I'm not new to black powder. This is my first percussion other than a stainless Ruger cap and ball.

Don't mean to be so long winded as this is my first post. I really enjoy reading this forum and I'm sure most of you guys do too. Thanks for a very cool place to read about what we love.
I like 9 #000 myself for deer hunting. I've never tried a round ball load because of those full chokes.

Back