• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Navy 1851 Holster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, as I remarked in Paleryder's post about his holsters from Swampy, I was working on a design from Will Ghormley's Forty-Niner packet, for a cross-draw setup. This is my first holster build, so it is a learning process. But, hey, I'm going to ring my own bell....I like the way it turned out! Here are a couple of photos. I am now into designing my own semi-carved, 2 1/2" belt (blank from Tandy) to complete the rig. The holster design is all carved with a swivel-knife. To quote Will, "This early incised floral pattern uses only a swivel knife. This was a common decorative style before the Civil War and for some years to follow". I am tying in some of the design features, that will be swivel knife cut, but will have a single rose on the center-back that will be tooled.

NavyHolsterFront.jpg

The back of the holster (yeah, I know I have a loose stitch I am going to have to contain):
NavyHolsterBack.jpg

I followed the Sheridan-Style finish on it until the end, but replaced the Tan-Kote protective sealer I have used before, with the Eco-Flo, clear matte finish to keep the shine down. It looks shiner in the photos than in real life.
:grin: :grin:

Great job Deano! I wish I had the time and want to learn to use swivel knife but I just don't think its for me right now. You certainly seem to have the knack for it. :thumbsup:

Swampy, if you can make the quality holsters you do, you sure wouldn't have much trouble operating a swivel knife. I have only been into leather carving a short time, so if this idjit can learn it, so can you. The best thing to do is get some 5-8 weight carving leather and practice. If you aren't familiar with it, Al Strohman's carving book is a good place to start learning. I didn't get the idea you had any impairment other than your legs, so give it a try.
:thumbsup:

Nerve damage in my right hand ain't helping matters but I just have to many irons in the fire which makes it hard to sit down and learn another trick. :haha: So I'll leave that to you for now. :thumbsup:

Hey ring yer bell Deano!! That's a good looking holster, even with the stitch :wink: ...Bud

Totally understand, Swampy. If I can ever help in doing some carving on a holster you are making, let me know. I'm available!
:bow: :bow:

Deano, first-rate craftsmanship on that holster. You mentioned Al Strohman's book. What is the title? I am very interested in learning more. Thanks.

I have 3 books by Stohlman (by the way, I misspelled it above). These appear to have been put out years ago by him, but the copyright shows 2005 by Tandy Leather (that is where I bought them). They are a weird size (approx. 12" x 18", paper bound).
How To Carve Leather (carving & tools/dying/patterns)
How To Make Holsters (carving & tools/patterns)
Craftool Tech-Tips (pointers for carving)

I have used these books extensively in learning leather carving and holster making. They are relatively inexpensive. Tandy also had a pamphlet called Basic Leatherwork, which I also picked up.
:hatsoff:

Okay, finished the belt today to complete the rig. Here are a couple of pic's with description:

As you will notice, the holster and belt are different in color. I could say that I planned it that way to give a pleasant contrast, as recommended by my local Tandy store owner. I do like the contrast, but it wasn't really by design. I used a different resist in the Sheridan Finish on the two and less dye got through to the belt leather.
Rig1.jpg

All the leather carving was done with a swivel knife (old school, 1800's) and no tooling. I wanted to keep it that way. I added a couple of Texas conchs.

Rig2.jpg

I am really happy with my first holster/rig and am going to do another for the same 1851 Navy revolver, trying a different design.
:v :v

Thanks deano, I'll look for those three books. Once again, congratulations on a job well done. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Back