• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home Brew Holster for 1862 Uberti Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please post pictures of your holster when it is finished. What gun are you making it for?
1862 Colt
KIMG0612.JPG
Army

Thank you!

That is a great idea! I really enjoy making them.

I highly recommend getting this book (that Tandy sells). It tells you pretty much everything you need to know to design and make your own holsters. I bought mine in the late 80's.

View attachment 116471

I agree with BPA. This book is a staple in my small arsenal of leather working tools. Tandy has lots of info on building leather projects and since they are less than an hour away from me, they are handy.
Good work brother as always.
DL

Nice work!

And I really appreciate posts like this where a craftsman posts pictures of his methods. For those of us who have never worked leather (or horn, or sewed...etc.), but want/plan to in the future, seeing and reading an overview of the processes involved makes it less intimidating to try.
Jump on in, the waters fine. Take it in steps. There's guys on YouTube that will not only show you how to do it but will give you the patterns free! Then you can watch how he does it and see what tools you'll need (no machinery at all) and you can make some useful stuff right out of the gate, first shot! These are some things I made from patterns I downloaded from the internet for free.
KIMG0630.JPG

I recently made this holster for my Uberti Colt 1862 Police Pocket model, date code CA, 36 caliber, 5-1/2" barrel.

The holster is nothing fancy, with no carving or other embellishments. It is not a direct copy of anything, but just an amalgamation of ideas I liked from other holster I have seen, and with the buckle from an old dog collar. This is the only holster I have ever made with a cut-away at the trigger guard, which is probably a styling from the 40s or 50s, I don't know.

It doesn't show well in the photos, but there is a slight flare at the opening of the holster to allow smooth entry of the revolver into the holster, and is something I always incorporate into my holsters.

I used a welt at the seam to allow easy entry of the revolver, yet still allowing the holster to grip the gun firmly. I did wet mold the holster to the gun slightly.

I don't burnish or dress the edges on holsters I make for use with old guns (real or replicas). The holster has a neatsfoot oil (😮 😮 😮) finish, and I slightly aged/antiqued it.

View attachment 116453View attachment 116454View attachment 116455View attachment 116456View attachment 116457
So what you need next is a nice gun belt and cartridge box. I always thought about doing a military style rig that was aged and modified like the soldier carried it for 15 or 20 years.

Well, this is my only offering, such as it is. Veg tanned leather, probably too light, I had to put the leg tie on it just to get it out, HAH! I'm not much of a leather craftsman, but it does enhance the experience of using one of these grand old revolvers though, you guy's do very nice work, thanks for showing your stuff.!
0.jpeg

0-1.jpeg

Robby

Robby, that looks good!

You should be able to re-wet the leather and mold it again. I would soak it in warm tap water for a minute or two, and ensure that it is soaking wet to the core. Oil your gun, then force it in. Then manipulate the leather, and rotate the gun. This should stretch the leather enough so it will not be too tight any more.

As the leather dries over the next day or two, re-insert the gun from time to time, and work the leather around to keep the fit loosened.

Last edited:
Well, this is my only offering, such as it is. Veg tanned leather, probably too light, I had to put the leg tie on it just to get it out, HAH! I'm not much of a leather craftsman, but it does enhance the experience of using one of these grand old revolvers though, you guy's do very nice work, thanks for showing your stuff.!
View attachment 117034
View attachment 117035
Robby
That's actually pretty nice. There's beauty in simplicity. Most people wore these holsters in the cross draw configuration. Drawing with your dominant hand from a butt forward holster on the opposite side. Everybody starts leatherworking somewhere. I'm always amazed at what I learn every time I make something. I watch a ton of videos and just take a stab at something I've never done. Keep going, every time you make something it will get better and better. Nice stitching BTW.
Neil

Back