• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My drill press is junk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighUintas

40 Cal
Reaction score
I bought a used harbor freight drill press (a very small one) awhile ago because I've needed one for some time and figured I especially need one for building a rifle.

Well, I'm nearly to the point of drill pine holes and tang/lock holes and found that this press is a piece o junk. When drilling the holes for my lock mortise area, any time I started a hole, the whole dang spindle would shift one way or another and not put the hole where I wanted it. There's just too much play in the press spindle.

I know there are drilling jigs that can be made for pins, but are there any non-drill press options for the tang bolts? Maybe a larger size drilling jig?

I'd buy a new drill press at the home center. Better find an old quality one. I have never been interested in jigs for hand drills. I prefer multitaskers. I use a spike in the mill to make the holes meet in the middle. Most guys use a drill press. At any rate you really need a drill press to to quality work. I know some have work arounds, it is just not how I prefer to do things.

Like this?
1654279235692.png

A good tool makes your work easier. A poor tool let's your household hear words not formerly in their vocabulary.

😂😂 Yup, I'm famous for that in my house.

Unfortunately I don't think a new (or even quality used) drill press is in our budget at the moment and may not be for awhile. So I'm left to ponder the possibility of getting that drill jig like hatchet jack posted, or making one. I think I could free hand the lock bolt drilling job since I'm using a washer style piece for the side plate, but am not foolish enough to attempt it on the tang.

I bought a used harbor freight drill press (a very small one) awhile ago because I've needed one for some time and figured I especially need one for building a rifle.

Well, I'm nearly to the point of drill pine holes and tang/lock holes and found that this press is a piece o junk. When drilling the holes for my lock mortise area, any time I started a hole, the whole dang spindle would shift one way or another and not put the hole where I wanted it. There's just too much play in the press spindle.

I know there are drilling jigs that can be made for pins, but are there any non-drill press options for the tang bolts? Maybe a larger size drilling jig?

I caught a huge break 20 odd years ago when a local machine shop auctioned off their inventory. I was standing in the crowd and next to me a former employee. He pointed out a drill press and said they rarely used it because it to to small for their work. I kept my eye on it and it sold late when the heavy hitters had spent their $$. Its a 4 speed with adjustable plate, and sold for $80. It took 3 of us to load due to its cast iron base and housing.

Long story short... keep an eye out for auctions and estate sales of gun cranks. I buy lots of HF stuff, but their power tools are definitely lacking.

Any electric drill goes too fast through wood. Too much a chance for something to go wrong. I drilled my first tang screw holes with an egg beater drill. Actually did all the holes with the same drill.

I was actually considering trying to find one of those. Do you know of any place that sells them new? I don't believe I've ever seen one for sale in a store

I'd buy a new drill press at the home center. Better find an old quality one. I have never been interested in jigs for hand drills. I prefer multitaskers. I use a spike in the mill to make the holes meet in the middle. Most guys use a drill press. At any rate you really need a drill press to to quality work. I know some have work arounds, it is just not how I prefer to do things.
Yep, look around for an old drill press. They were quality built to last.

I would look around for a Shopsmith Mark V on your local adds, or Marketplace. I have one in my basement which converts in about a minute to a first class drill press. Gives you a precision spindle with a variable speed drive and a very large table that has a fence and miter track spots. The same machine with additional attatchments can operate as a jointer, bandsaw, wood lathe, table saw, spindle shaper, and a bunch of other functions. I use mine all the time and consider it to be an excellent machine when properly setup. Best thing is I see them all the time for $200-300 range around here, look for one with as many accessories as possible.The one in the photo below is typical and for sale currently in NJ for 300.

Screenshot_20220603-190336_Facebook.jpg

Back