• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang bolt drill jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I seem to remember in the distant pass that someone had made or bought a jig to help drill the tang/lock bolts, any info out there?
I have a set up on my drill now for doing it but I thought it would be handier to have what I had seen before. It looked like a large "L" shape with another part on top, sort of a "C" with right angles!
Any help would be appreciated, thanks Rich.

Is this what you're thinking off, the DIY version by @Compressorguy ?

1712235190753.png

1st Model - https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/homemade-pin-drilling-jig.142283/

Improved - https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/improved-homemade-pin-drilling-jig.148784/#post-2097623

Interestingly enough, I used to use these when building custom rifles, but at some point, I just started to drill from both sides and meet in the middle. A spotter helps with alignment, but isn't necessary. Start slightly smaller than your finished hole. Works well
Thanks Jim, I did use this method on my drill press but I thought if I had one it could make things less awkward doing it on my drill press. I tried your method of eye balling it but my eyeballs aren't that well aligned! LOL

You need a helper if using a center point deal on a drill press. I like the thing I made so I can hold the stock securely in a vise while drilling.

I seem to remember in the distant pass that someone had made or bought a jig to help drill the tang/lock bolts, any info out there?
I have a set up on my drill now for doing it but I thought it would be handier to have what I had seen before. It looked like a large "L" shape with another part on top, sort of a "C" with right angles!
Any help would be appreciated, thanks Rich.
This is not the information you are asking for but if you have a drill press table vice, I just place a vertical point in the vice and line it up with the C/L of the chuck. Works well for me.
Larry

Good ideas on here ... As James points out , after a couple dozen you can free hand drill the tang bolt , I go half way from each side with and undersized drill bit , then correct bit to open it up , still half way . I did build a jig like a couple shown here , not same but same concept . Its merely a carriage bolt that I ground to a point ...it is threaded into the base of the drill.press then you align the drill and the point on the bolt , touch em point to.point and tighen down . Again ...undersized drill bit to half way or just barely past , a little from each side ....go slow ....afterwards clean up with 3/16 bit , 8/32 bolt , good to go....The drill guide works good and cheaper than all get out ...

A drill press jig. Cheap!
View attachment 309928

Mine works on that same principle. I don't need a helper. Spot both sides with a punch and set the bottom side punch mark on the bottom pin and line the bit up on the punch mark on the other side. Go slow and when you are near through flip the piece over and finish the hole.

I've been using drills a lot as a wood stair and railing builder for 40 years. I've built 2 guns lately and every time I try to freehand a hole I screw up. When I use a jig ( I use the drill press setup, but either will work ) thing go fine. In my opinion either of these are invaluable for gun building.

Back